The finalists for the 2013 Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic have been announced. The award recognizes Canadian writers of adult or young adult speculative fiction novel or book-length collection published during the previous calendar year.
- Finton Moon by Gerard Collins (Killick Press)
- Maleficium by Martine Desjardins; translated by Fred A. Reed and David Homel (Talonbooks)
- Over the Darkened Landscape by Derryl Murphy (Fairwood Press)
- The Blondes by Emily Schultz (Doubleday Canada)
- Westlake Soul by Rio Youers (ChiZine Publications)
Young Adult Shorlist
- The Green Man by Michael Bedard (Tundra Books)
- Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen)
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (Doubleday Canada)
- Bright’s Light by Susan Juby (HarperCollins Publishers)
- Rebel Heart by Moira Young (Doubleday Canada)
The Sunburst is a juried award. The 2013 jurors are Rebecca Bradley, Tony Burgess, Shari Lapeña, Barbara Roden, Leon Rooke.
Winners receive a C$1,000 cash award and a medallion. The Sunburst is named after the first novel by Phyllis Gotlieb, among the first published authors of contemporary Canadian science fiction.