The 2014 Sidewise Award for Alternate History nominees were announced July 17. The award recognizes excellence in alternate historical fiction.
The nominees were selected by a panel of judges comprised of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver. The winners will be announced at Sasquan, the 2015 Worldcon, on August 21.
- Ken Liu, “The Long Haul” (Clarkesworld, 11/14)
- Igor Ljubuncic, “The Girl with the Flaxen Hair” (Wars to End All Wars: Alternate Tales from the Trenches, Amazon Digital Services)
- Robert Reed, “The Principles” (Asimov’s, 4-5/14)
- Aaron Rosenberg, “Let No Man Put Asunder” (Europa Universalis IV: What If?, Paradox Interactive)
- Lewis Shiner, “The Black Sun” (Subterranean, Summer 2014)
- Harry Turtledove, “The More It Changes” (Europa Universalis IV: What If?, Paradox Interactive)
- Alexander M. Grace, Sr., Second Front: The Allied Invasion of France, 1942-1943 (Casemate)
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch, The Enemy Within (WMG Publishing)
- Tony Schumacher, The Darkest Hour (William Morrow)
- Allen Steele, V-S Day (Ace)
- Jo Walton, My Real Children (Tor)
The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story “Sidewise in Time,” in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.