The annual Darrell Awards support Midsouth Literacy by recognizing the best published Science Fiction, Fantasy and/or Horror in Short Story, Novella, Novel, Young Adult & Other Media formats. The 2018 Darrell Awards finalists are:
- William C. Dietz – Seek and Destroy
- Nick Rowan – Wild Hunt
- TJ Turner – Land of Wolves
- Sheila Martin – Coney Island Book of the Dead
- John Hornor Jacobs – Luminaria
- William Alan Webb – A Night at the Quay
- Phyllis Appleby – From Hair to Eternity
- Richard Powell – A Very Worthy Human Being
- Troy L. Wiggins – Black Like Them
The related Dal Coger Memorial Hall of Fame Award is given to an author who has made exceptional contributions to Midsouth Literacy by having published a substantial body of work that is or would have been eligible for the Darrell Award.
The award jury announced that Robin Burks is their 2018 inductee to the Coger Hall of Fame for her three novel series (Zeus, Inc.; The Curse of Hekate; and Return of the Titans).
Robin Burks expressed her thanks:
I am beyond thrilled to get this recognition and only hate that I cannot attend the subsequent banquet because of a previous commitment. I am so honored, though, and excited about this newest development in my writing career. It’s also the kick in the pants I need to keep writing and to keep working on the final edits to Madame Vampire.
The awards will be presented at MidSouthCon in Memphis, TN on Saturday March 10.
[Thanks to JJ for the story.]