Shortlists for The 2018 David Gemmell Awards For Fantasy — the Legend, Morningstar, and Ravenheart Awards — have been posted. The awards recognize the best in fantasy fiction and artwork. Open voting on the finalists has begun and will continue until midnight on June 1.
The awards will be presented July 14 at Edge-Lit 7 in Derby, UK.
The Legend Award is presented to the fantasy title judged the year’s best by open vote.
- Miles Cameron: The Fall of Dragons, Book 5 of the Traitor Son Cycle (Gollancz)
- Robin Hobb: Assassin’s Fate, Book 3 of Fitz and The Fool (HarperVoyager)
- Mark Lawrence: Red Sister, Book 1 of Book of the Ancestor (HarperVoyager)
- Steve McHugh: Scorched Shadows, Book 7 of The Hellequin Chronicles (47 North)
- Brandon Sanderson: Oathbringer, Book 3 of The Stormlight Archive (Gollancz)
The Morningstar Award honors the author judged to have made the year’s best debut in fantasy fiction.
- RJ Barker: Age of Assassins, Book 1 of The Wounded Kingdom (Orbit
- Melissa Caruso: The Tethered Mage, Book 1 of the Swords and Fire Trilogy (Orbit)
- Nicholas Eames: Kings of the Wyld, Book 1 of The Band (Orbit)
- Ed McDonald: Blackwing, Book 1 of The Raven’s Mark (Gollancz)
- Anna Smith-Spark: The Court of Broken Knives, Book 1 of The Empires of Dust (HarperVoyager)
The Ravenheart Award is given to the creator of the year’s best fantasy book cover art.
- Richard Anderson for Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames (Orbit): Design by Lisa Marie Pompilio.
- Kerem Beyit for The Fall of Dragons by Miles Cameron (Gollancz): Design by Sidonie Beresford-Browne, Abi Hartshorne, Sue Michniewicz and Jamie Tanner.
- Sam Green for Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson (Gollancz): Design by Tomas Almeida.
- Jackie Morris and Stephen Raw for Assassin’s Fate by Robin Hobb (HarperVoyager): Design by Dominic Forbes.
- Kerby Rosanes for Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff (HarperVoyager): Design by Micaela Alcaino.
This is the awards’ tenth year.
[Thanks to Mark Hepworth for the story.]