The preliminary ballot for the Australian SF (“Ditmar”) Awards for 2019 has been made available for comment and correction before becoming final.
The nominees are award-eligible works and persons first nominated by fans and members of the Australian NatCon which have been compiled into a ballot by a sub-committee elected at the previous National SF Convention business meeting.
The Ditmars will be presented at the 2019 Australian National SF Convention, (Continuum 15) in Melbourne, June 7-10, 2019.
The following section details the contents of the preliminary ballot. (Note that the final ballot will include a “No Award” option in each category.
- Devouring Dark, Alan Baxter, Grey Matter Press.
- The Subjugate, Amanda Bridgeman, Angry Robot.
- Faerie Apocalypse, Jason Franks, IFWG Publishing Australia.
- City of Lies (Poison Wars 1), Sam Hawke, Tom Doherty Associates.
- The Beast’s Heart, Leife Shallcross, Hodder & Stoughton.
- Tide of Stone, Kaaron Warren, Omnium Gatherum.
Best Novella or Novelette
- “Triquetra”, Kirstyn McDermott, in Triquetra, Tor.com
- “Cabaret of Monsters”, Tansy Rayner Roberts, in Cabaret of Monsters, The Creature Court.
- “The Dragon’s Child”, Janeen Webb, in The Dragon’s Child, PS Publishing.
Best Short Story
- “The Art of Broken Things”, Joanne Anderton, in Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
- “A Man Totally Alone”, Robert Hood, The Mammoth Book of Halloween Stories: Terrifying Tales Set on the Scariest Night of the Year!, Skyhorse Publishing.
- “The Heart of Owl Abbas”, Kathleen Jennings, in Tor.com.
- “Junkyard Kraken”, D.K. Mok, in Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
Best Collected Work
- Sword and Sonnet, edited by Aidan Doyle, Rachael K. Jones and E. Catherine Tobler, Ate Bit Bear.
- Mountains of the Mind, Gillian Polack, Shooting Star Press.
- Mother of Invention, Rivqa Rafael and Tansy Rayner Roberts, Twelfth Planet Press.
- A Hand of Knaves, Leife Shallcross and Chris Large, CSFG Publishing.
- Tales from the Inner City, Shaun Tan, Allen & Unwin.
- Cover art, Likhain, for Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
- Cover and internal illustrations, Shauna O’Meara, for A Hand of Knaves, CSFG Publishing.
Best Fan Publication in Any Medium
- Earl Grey Editing, Elizabeth Fitzgerald.
- Pratchat, Elizabeth Flux, Ben McKenzie, Splendid Chaps Productions.
- SF Commentary, Bruce Gillespie.
- Galactic Suburbia, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, and Tansy Rayner Roberts.
Best Fan Writer
- Liz Barr, for writing in squiddishly.
- Bruce Gillespie, for writing in SF Commentary and ANZAPA articles.
Best Fan Artist
INSUFFICIENT NOMINATIONS FOR ANY FAN ARTIST
Best New Talent
- Elizabeth Fitzgerald
- Sam Hawke
- Bren MacDibble (aka Cally Black)
- Leife Shallcross
William Atheling Jr Award for Criticism or Review
- Damien Broderick, for Pscience Fiction, McFarland.
- Damien Broderick, for Consciousness and Science Fiction, Springer.
- Tansy Rayner Roberts, for Gentlewomen of the Press, Sheep Might Fly.
- Cat Sparks, for “The 21st Century Catastrophe: Hyper-capitalism and Severe Climate Change in Science Fiction” PhD exegesis.