The 2018 PEN America Literary Awards Longlists have been announced. Spanning fiction, nonfiction, poetry, biography, essays, science writing, sports writing, and translation, this year’s awards will confer nearly $315,000 to writers and translators whose literary works were published in 2017. The finalists for all book awards will be announced in January 2018.
Longlisted entries of genre interest are:
PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize for Debut Fiction ($25,000)
- Black Jesus and Other Superheroes, Venita Blackburn (University of Nebraska Press)
- Her Body and Other Parties: Stories, Carmen Maria Machado (Graywolf Press)
PEN Translation Prize ($3,000)
- Out in the Open, Jesus Carrasco (Riverhead Books), translated from the Spanish Intemperie by Margaret Jull Costa
PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay ($10,000)
- No Time to Spare: Thinking about What Matters, Ursula K. Le Guin (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
PEN/E.O. Wilson Prize for Literary Science Writing ($10,000)
- American Eclipse: A Nation’s Epic Race to Catch the Shadow of the Moon and Win the Glory of the World, David Baron (Liveright)
The complete longlist can be seen at PEN America’s website.
[Thanks to JJ for the story.]