The 2018 Seiun Award nominees were announced April 15 by Duracon, the 57th Japanese national SF convention. The award has nine categories. Below are the categories for translated works, and a few other categories of international interest.
The awards will be presented July 21 in Minakami, Japan.
- Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. Translated by Chiori Sada
- The Adjacent by Christopher Priest. Translated by Yoshimichi Furusawa and Yoko Miki
- A Borrowed Man by Gene Wolfe. Translated by Akinobu Sakai
- My Real Children by Jo Walton. Translated by Takeshi Mogi
- Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Translated by Yutaka Oshima
- The History of Soviet Fantastika by Roman Arbitman and Rustam Katz. Translated by Hiraoki Umemura
- Jack Vance Treasury 3: Space Opera by Jack Vance. Translated by Hisashi Asakura and Ro Shiraishi
FOREIGN SHORT STORY
- “The New Guys Always Work Overtime” by David Erik Nelson. Translated by Jun Suzuki
- “Folding Beijing” by Jingfang Hao. Translated by Mayumi ?tani
- “An Advanced Reader’s Picture Book of Comparative Cognition” by Ken Liu. Translated by Izumi Ichida
- “Healing Benjamin” by Dennis Danvers. Translated by Makoto Yamagishi
- “Travel Diary” by Alfred Bester. Translated by Akinobu Sakai
- “Knotting Grass, Holding Ring” by Ken Liu. Translated by Yoshimichi Furusawa
- Blade Runner 2049
- Kado: The Right Answer
- Kubo and the Two Strings
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
- Kemono Friends
- Yasumi Suzuki — Personal site
- Katsuyuki Hoshino — Personal site
- Jun Kawana — Personal site
- HR-FM — Personal site
- Shioishi Yuko – Personal site
- Noriko Nagano – Personal site
- Quick Water Spiral – Personal site
- Torojima Legend — Personal site
- 1 I / 2017 U 1 Parrot Amua — Celestial body with the highest orbital eccentricity, the first interstellar small celestial body in observation history.
- “Superhuman rock” birth 50 anniversary tribute project – Young King’s Hours 2 – July issue Anthology “superhuman rock hero” publication,
- Cassini explorer Saturn’s atmosphere entrance – Launch on October 15, 1997, September 15, 2017 rushed into the atmosphere of Saturn and operation was terminated. Over the course of 20 years we have observed planets (mainly Saturn) and Saturn’s satellites. Discovering the possibility that there is a large underground ocean of liquid water in Saturn’s satellite Enceladus, “Saturn discovers the satellites of the new Saturn” and “Discover the appearance of a vortex like the hurricane at Saturn’s North Pole” “It is a satellite that has repeated many new discoveries and challenges such as” traveling between Saturn and the ring for the first time as a human explorer “and praising this achievement, I would like it to receive the award of the Nebula Award Free Section.
- Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition released – All RPG founder Dungeons & Dragons, the first time in nine years a new system version released.
- Tivanian – The “Chiba Era” was born in the earth history. First geological age name in Japan.
- National Association “Rem Collection” – Against the fact that over the years we have completed the difficult business of communicating the whole picture of REM work to Japanese readers through direct translation from Polish
- Nozomu Omori, Sannou Kinoshita edition “Annual Japanese SF Masterpiece Selection” – For the valuable work of editing an annual SF masterpiece for 10 years
- NHK E TEL “100 min de masterpiece Stanislaw Remororasu Assuming Understanding” – To one that was introduced as one of the masterpieces at the NHK program. Minami role: Yuji Numano
Editor’s Note: I have followed the translations shown in the Wikipedia article for the first three categories. Note some translator names lack diacritical marks over some letters because WordPress turns them into question marks. Thanks to Count Zero for the “Kado: The Right Answer” translation. The “Free Category” relies on Google Translate (beware!)
[Hat tip to Locus Online.]