The winners of the Harvey Awards, honoring the life and work of comics creator Harvey Kurtzman,(1924-1993), cartoonist, writer, editor and founder of Mad Magazine, were announced October 4.
The awards were voted on by eligible industry professionals including creators, in-house professionals, librarians, and retailers. The awards are presented under the auspices of New York Comic-Con.
Book of the Year
- Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Scholastic Graphix)
Digital Book of the Year
- Check, Please by Ngozi Ukazu: www.checkpleasecomic.com
Best Children’s or Young Adult Book
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O’Connell (First Second)
- My Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi (VIZ Media)
Best European Book
- Waves by Ingrid Chabbert and Carole Maurel (Archaia)
Best Comics Adaptation Award
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse by Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation, based on Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)
In addition, the Harvey Awards honored the 2019 inductees to their Hall of Fame and a Comics Industry Pioneer.
Hall of Fame
The seven recipients include two active creators, and five posthumous honorees who were Harvey Kurtzman’s core 1950’s MAD Magazine collaborators.
- Mike Mignola (Hellboy)
- Alison Bechdel (Fun Home), and
- Will Elder
- Jack Davis
- John Severin
- Marie Severin
- Ben Oda
Comics Industry Pioneer
- Maggie Thompson, on behalf of her work with her late husband Don Thompson as longtime editors of the Comics Buyer’s Guide.
[Thanks to Mike Kennedy for an assist.]