The nominees for the 2019 Prism Awards for Excellence in LGBTQ+ Comics were announced on May 1.
The Prism Awards are presented to comic works by queer authors and works that promote the growing body of diverse, powerful, innovative, positive or challenging representations of LGBTQAI+ characters in fiction or nonfiction comics.
The awards are administered by Prism Comics, The Queer Comics Expo, and the Cartoon Art Museum. They will be presented during Comic-Con International in San Diego in July.
The nominees for the 2019 Prism Awards are:
SHORT FORM NOMINEES
- You Don’t Have To Be Afraid of Me by Victor Martins https://helloboyfriend.itch.io
- Fazenda De Sangue Azul by H. Pueyo and Dante Luiz https://danteluiz.com/tagged/comics
- see me by e Jackson https://eshiel.itch.io/seeme
- SuperButch by Barry Deutsch & Becky Hawkins http://superbutchcomic.com
- After the Fog by H-P Lehkonen https://hplehkonen.com/blog/after-the-fog
- Null Point by Amara Sherm https://sparklermonthly.com/series/null-point
SMALL TO MIDSIZE PRESS NOMINEES
- It Will Be Hard by Hien Pham(self published) https://wavingpeople.itch.io/it-will-be-hard
- Meal by Blue Delliquanti and Soleil Ho (Iron Circus) https://ironcircus.com/product/meal
- The Lie and How We Told It by Tommy Parish (Fantagraphics) http://www.fantagraphics.com/thelie
- Runaways #12 by Rainbow Rowell, Kris Anka, Matthew Wilson and Joe Carmagna (Marvel) https://www.marvel.com/comics/characters/1010747/runaways
- Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles #6 by Mark Russell, Brandee Stilwell, Paul Mounts, Jeremy Lawson, Rose Campbell, Ben Caldwell, Mark Morales, Gus Vazquez, Sean Parsons and Mike Feehan (DC) https://www.dccomics.com/comics/exit-stage-left-the-snagglepuss-chronicles-2018/exit-stage-left-the-snagglepuss-chronicles-1
- Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass by Lilah Sturges, polterink, and Jim Campbell (Boom! Studios) http://www.boom-studios.com/2018/10/31/lumberjanes-the-infernal-compass-on-sale-now
- ABO Comix Vol 2: A Comic Anthology by LGBTQ Prisoners edited by Casper Cendre http://www.abocomix.com/store/p2/abo1.html
- Group Chat edited by Carolynn Calabrese, Jenny Mott, Ashley Gallagher, Rachel Weiss https://pome-mag.com/pome-press
- Being True: LGBTQ+ Comics From The Boston Comics Roundtable edited by Renie Jesanis, Kyri Lorenz, and Steph Rose Glass https://bostoncomics.com/bcr-at-fanexpo-boston-being-true-debuts
The judges who read and evaluated this year’s submissions are:
Short Form Judges: Mey Valdivia Rude (writer at them, Autostraddle); Joamette Gil (Heartwood: Non-binary Tales of Sylvan Fantasy); Sfé R. Monster (The Beyond Anthologies)
Webcomic Judges: Matt Lubchansky (The Nib); Ajuan Mance (Gender Studies); Zora Gilbert (Dates: An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction Stories, Books 1 and 2)
Small to Midsize Press Comic Judges: Juliette Capra (Crowded); Noella Whitney (Dates: An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction Stories, Book 2 ); Heidi MacDonald (editor-in-chief of Comicsbeat)
Mainstream Publisher Comic Judges: Brian Andersen (Stripling Warrior); AJ Real (writer, Advanced Death Saves); Jack Baur (Librarian, Berkeley Public Library)
Anthology Judges: e jackson (Flux); Hazel Newlevant (Sugar Town); Rob McMonigal (founder and head writer at Panel Patter)
The Prism Awards Organizing Team: Ted Abenheim (Prism Comics); Nina Taylor Kester (Queer Comics Expo, Cartoon Art Museum); Maia Kobabe (Gender Queer: A Memoir).