David Steffen has launched a Kickstarter appeal to publish Long List Anthology Volume 6, designed to celebrate more of the fiction loved by the Hugo Award voting audience.
Every year, science fiction and fantasy fans vote for their favorite works for the Hugo Award, and the winners of those are chosen at Worldcon in a different city every year (if you think that sounds cool, it is, and you should get involved as much as you want to, the rules for the award are fan-voted too if you can attend Worldcon). After the Hugo Awards each year, the World Science Fiction Society (who administer the award) publishes a longer list of works that fans cast nomination votes for. The works on the ballot get a lot of attention — but these other stories were also loved by so many fans, and the purpose of this anthology is to help more readers find them.
The starting point for Volume 6 is the 2020 Hugo voting report. Steffen notes, “This project is not endorsed by nor affiliated with the Hugo awards, WSFS, Worldcon, or any associated entities. The Hugo name is used with permission.”
Backers have already pledged $956 of its initial $1,850 goal with 23 days to go.
The cover art is by Jorge Jacinto.
WHAT STORIES WILL BE IN THE ANTHOLOGY?
Short Stories (base goal with digital-only rewards, $1850)
- “Lest We Forget” by Elizabeth Bear
- “A Bird, a Song, a Revolution” by Brooke Bolander
- “Beyond the El” by John Chu
- “Give the Family My Love” by A.T. Greenblatt
- “Fisher-Bird” by T. Kingfisher
- “Articulated Restraint” by Mary Robinette Kowal
- “I (28M) Created a Deepfake Girlfriend and Now My Parents Think We’re Getting Married” by Fonda Lee
- “Shucked” by Sam J. Miller
- “The Dead, in their Uncontrollable Power” by Karen Osborne
- “How the Trick is Done” by A.C. Wise
Novelettes(stretch goal at cost to be determined, trying to finalize some details with a service that can handle add-on rewards with shipping)
- “A Strange Uncertain Light” by G.V. Anderson
- “Deriving Life” by Elizabeth Bear
- “Erase, Erase, Erase” by Elizabeth Bear
- “Nice Things” by Ellen Klages
- “His Steps, Through Darkness and Light” by Mimi Mondal
- “Blood, Bone, Seed, Spark” by Aimee Ogden
- “Dave’s Head” by Suzanne Palmer
- “Circus Girl, the Hunter, and Mirror Boy” by JY Yang
- …up to 2 others!
Further stretch goals:
…novellas if 1 or more can be confirmed (these are queried one by one, and reprint rights tend to be less available, so they tend to take longer
THE LONG LIST ANTHOLOGY BOOK CLUB. A new facet to the Long List Anthology this year, they will be running a discussion group on the Kickstarter where “backers can come together, discuss the individual stories, and share their thoughts and reactions.” Everybody backing at the $15 level and up will have access.
[Thanks to JJ and Standback for the link.]