The African Speculative Fiction Society has unveiled the shortlists for the 2020 Nommo Awards for Speculative Fiction by Africans.
Voting for the winners by members of the ASFS will start on May 30 and end August 30.
2020 Ilube Nommo Award for Best Speculative Novel by an African
- Masande Ntshanga, Triangulum (Penguin Random House South Africa)
- Namwali Serpell, The Old Drift (Penguin Random House/Vintage/Hogarth)
- Nerine Dorman, Sing Down The Stars (Tafelberg)
- Suyi Davies Okungbowa, David Mogo, Godhunter (Abaddon)
- Tade Thompson, Rosewater Insurrection (Orbit)
- Tochi Onyebuchi, War Girls (Razorbill Penguin Group)
2020 Nommo Award for Best Speculative Novella by an African
- Caldon Mull, Weatherman (Caldon Mull)
- Kerstin Hall, The Border Keeper (Tor.com)
- Wole Talabi, Incompleteness Theories (from single-author anthology Incomplete Solutions, Luna Press)
2020 Nommo Award for Best Speculative Short Story by an African
- Ada Nnadi, Tiny Bravery (Omenana)
- Chikodili Emelumadu, Sin Eater (Omenana)
- Deji Bryce Olukotun, Between The Dark And The Dark (Lightspeed)
- Ivana Akotowaa Ofori, Principles Of Balance (Jalada)
- Suyi Davies Okungbowa, The Haunting Of 13 Olúwo Street (Fireside)
- Wole Talabi, When We Dream We Are Our God (Apex Magazine and All Borders Are Temporary, TrAP Magazine)
2020 Nommo Award for Best Graphic Novel/Comic by Africans
- Beast From Venus by Kiprop Kimutai (author) and Salim Busuru (artist) (Avandu Vosi)
- Captain South Africa by Bill Masuku (artist and author) (Enigma Comix)
- Danfo by Morakinyo Araoye, and Steven Akinyemi (authors) Ogim Ekpezu (artist) (TAG Comics)
- Hawi by Beserat Debebe (author) and Stanley Obende (artist) (Etan Comics)
- Kami by Mika Hirwa (author and artist) (Mira Hirwa publisher)
- Nani by Ziki Nelson (author) Jason Lamy (artist) (Kugali comics)
- Sanu by Charles Sentongo (author and artist) Elupe Comics
- Welcome To Dead World by Bill Masuku (author and art) (Sam Graphico Anthology)
The African Speculative Fiction Society, composed of professional and semiprofessional African writers, editors, publishers, graphic artists and film makers, was founded in 2016.
The Nommos were presented for the first time in 2017. The awards are named for twins from Dogon cosmology who take a variety of forms, including appearing on land as fish, walking on their tails.
The winners will be announced at an online ceremony some time this autumn.
[Thanks to Geoff Ryman for the story.]