The Horror Writers Association and Adult Reading Round Table (ARRT) will present the “4th Annual HWA Librarian’s Day” on May 7 at the Naperville, IL Public Library, a day-long continuing education event featuring authors, reviewers, publishers, and librarians from all over the country.
The event schedule is now online, with tickets on sale at Eventbrite ($65/HWA or ARRT Member, $75/Nonmember). All attendees get lunch, swag and free books.
Schedule of Events:
- 8:30-9am Registration, Coffee/Tea, Welcome
- 9-10am The Scary Truth About Horror Reviews: Featuring New York Times Book Review Horror Columnist Danielle Trussoni, Booklist and Library Journal Horror Reviewer Becky Spratford, Cemetery Dance reviewer and owner of Night Worms Sadie Hartmann, and authors Melissa Prusi and Steven Hopstaken. Moderated by Ashley Rayner from the Chicago Public Library
- 10:15-11:15am Horror and Libraries: A Not So Scary Partnership: Featuring authors J.H. Moncrieff and John Everson, academic librarians Gillian Cargile-King from Northern Illinois University and Christopher Clark from Southern Utah University, Konrad Stump from Springfield-Greene [MO] County Library, and a representative from NoveList. Moderated by Lila Denning from the St. Petersburg [FL] Public Library
- 11:30am-12:30pm Summer Scares 2020: How to Feature Horror for All Ages at Your Library: Featuring members of the Summer Scares Committee and authors of the selected titles including author Stephen Graham Jones, Andy Davidson, author of the 2020 Adult Selection In the Valley of the Sun, Summer Scares programming coordinator Konrad Stump, Summer Scares committee member and Library Director at Prairie State College Carolyn Ciesla, librarian Lila Denning, and more. Moderated by Summer Scares coordinator Becky Spratford
- 12:30pm-1:15pm Buffet Lunch
- 1:15-2pm One on One with the Business Man in Horror for All Aged Readers: Daniel Kraus and Becky Spratford in Conversation. Every attendee will go home with a copy of Kraus’s forthcoming collaboration with the late George Romero, The Living Dead
- 2:15-3:15pm Short Scares: Horror Novellas, Stories and Poetry: Featuring authors Stephen Graham Jones, J. G. Faherty, Cina Pelayo, and Sarah Read. Moderated by Christopher Clark
- 3:15-4:30pm Meet Flame Tree Press: Editor Don D’Auria and Flame Tree Press authors John Everson, J.G. Faherty, J.H. Moncrieff, Melissa Prusi and Steven Hopstaken in conversation with Emily Vinci of the Schaumburg Public Library. Discussion will include their work, their favorite authors and horror for a public library audience.