Pan Macmillan has announced the six finalists for the James Herbert Award for Horror Writing, being given for the first time this year.
- M.R. Carey, The Girl with All the Gifts (Orbit)
- Nick Cutter, The Troop (Headline)
- Frances Hardinge, Cuckoo Song (Macmillan)
- Andrew Michael Hurley, The Loney (Tartarus Press)
- Josh Malerman, Bird Box (Harper Voyager)
- Kim Newman, An English Ghost Story (Titan Books)
Open to horror novels written in English and published in the U.K., the annual prize celebrates the life and career of author James Herbert, who died in March 2013.
The award is administered by Pan Macmillan, the Serendip Foundation, and the estate of James Herbert. Its panel of judges includes horror writers Ramsey Campbell and Sarah Pinborough, Total Film editor Rosie Fletcher, Arthur C. Clarke Award Director Tom Hunter, scholar Dr. Tony Venezia, and James Herbert’s daughter, marketer Kerry Herbert.
The winner will be named at an award ceremony in March, and its author will receive a specially-designed commemorative statuette and £2000.
[ Via Tor.com.]