The Arthur C. Clarke Award for science fiction literature has announced its 2017 shortlist.
- A Closed and Common Orbit, Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Ninefox Gambit, Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris)
- After Atlas, Emma Newman (Roc)
- Occupy Me, Tricia Sullivan (Gollancz)
- Central Station, Lavie Tidhar (PS Publishing)
- The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead (Fleet)
The judges selected these works from a list of 86 individual eligible submissions.
Award Director Tom Hunter commented:
The novels on our shortlist this year are fascinatingly diverse, deeply imaginative and a great tribute to the memory of Sir Arthur as we celebrate the centenary year of his birth in 2017.
The judges for the Arthur C. Clarke Award 2017 are:
- Una McCormack, British Science Fiction Association
- Shana Worthen, British Science Fiction Association
- Paul March-Russell, Science Fiction Foundation
- Andrew McKie, Science Fiction Foundation
- Charles Christian, SCI-FI-LONDON film festival
Andrew M. Butler represents the Arthur C. Clarke Award in a non-voting role as the Chair of the Judges.
The winner will be announced at a public award ceremony held in partnership with Foyles Bookshop, Charing Cross Road, on Thursday 27th July 2017. The winner will receive a prize of £2017.00 and the award itself, a commemorative engraved bookend.