By Daniel Dern: Went with SO and g’kids on opening weekend, here’s some quick non-spoiler notes:
(1) Lots of fun. A friend who also saw it: “It’s like being pelted by Skittles.”
(2) Lots of Baby Groot. (Note, the movie credits Groot created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby.
Original appearance of [a] Groot, “Groot first appeared in Tales to Astonish #13 (November 1960), and was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” Wikipedia). (Not Groot as we know and love him, though.)
(3) Lots of single and small-group fights and interaction.
(4) Rocket ships. Explosions. Battles. Yelling. Witty banter. Emotionally unstable [aliens etc.] in positions of great power. Fight scenes.
(5) As the voice of Groot, Vin Diesel had to say “I am Groot” in many languages, for international distributions (via Tonight Show/Jimmy Fallon:
(6) Brief shot of Howard the Duck. Nice Stan Lee cameo.
(7) Multiple “Easter eggs” interspersed with credits, so stay until the very end. Here’s a [SPOILER-DENSE] video breakdown including lots of bit player IDs, interesting stuff (welll, for us comic nerds…)