The shortlists for the 2017 Sunburst Awards for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic have been announced.
The juried awards are presented to the best Canadian speculative fiction novel, book-length collection, or short story published any time during the previous calendar year. Sunburst Award winners will be announced in Fall 2017.
Sunburst Award winners receive a cash prize of $1,000 for the Adult and Young Adult categories, and $500 for the short story category, as well as a medallion which incorporates the Sunburst logo.
The jurors for the 2017 award are Nancy Baker, Michel Basilières, Rebecca Bradley, Dominick Grace, and Sean Moreland.
- Spells of Blood and Kin by Claire Humphrey (Thomas Dunn Books)
- The Witches of New York by Ami McKay (Knopf Canada)
- Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel (Del Ray)
- Necessity by Jo Walton (Tor Books)
- Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor Books)
YOUNG ADULT SHORTLIST
- Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard by Jonathan Auxier (Puffin Canada)
- Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley (HarperCollins)
- The Inn Between by Marina Cohen (Roaring Brook Press)
- Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan (Doubleday Canada)
- The Skids by Ian Donald Keeling (ChiTeen)
SHORT STORY SHORTLIST
- K.T. Bryski, “La Corriveau” [Strange Horizons, October 2016]
- James Alan Gardner, “The Dog and the Sleepwalker” [Strangers Among Us, Laksa Media Groups Inc.]
- Helen Marshall, “Caro in Carno” [The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu, Constable-Robinson UK & Running Press US]
- A.C. Wise, “The Men from Narrow Houses” [Liminal Stories, #1]
- A.C. Wise, “The Sailing of the Henry Charles Morgan in Six Pieces of Scrimshaw (1841)” [The Dark, #14]
[Via SF Site News.]