The winners of the 2017 Robert E. Howard Foundation Awards were announced June 10 at Howard Days.
The awards honor the top contributions in Howard scholarship and in the promotion of Howard’s life and works from the past year. The winners were determined by vote of the REH Foundation members.
The Atlantean — Outstanding Achievement, Book (non-anthology/collection)
- PATRICK BURGER – On the Precipice of Fascism: The Mythic and the Political in the Works of Robert E. Howard and Ernst Junger (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood Publishing)
The Valusian — Outstanding Achievement, Book (anthology/collection)
[No eligible candidates]
The Hyrkanian—Outstanding Achievement, Essay (Print)
- JEFFREY SHANKS – “Nameless Tribes and Races of Men: Anthropological World-Building in ‘Men of the Shadows’” – Skelos #1
The Cimmerian—Outstanding Achievement, Essay (Online)
- PATRICE LOUINET – “’The Wright Hook’ (or, the origin of ‘Spear and Fang’)” – REH: Two Gun Raconteur Blog
The Venarium — Emerging Scholar
- TODD VICK – Contributed essays to On an Underwood No. 5; Editor of On an Underwood No. 5 blog; presented paper at PCA and Glenn Lord Symposium
The Stygian—Outstanding Achievement, Website
- ON AN UNDERWOOD NO. 5 (Todd Vick)
The Aquilonian — Outstanding Achievement, Periodical
- REH FOUNDATION NEWSLETTER (Damon Sasser)
The Black Lotus – Outstanding Achievement, Multimedia
- JOSH ADKINS, LUKE DODD, and JON LARSON – The Cromcast (audio podcast)
The Black River—Special Achievement
- PATRICE LOUINET – For serving as adviser on the Conan board game from Monolith.
The Rankin — Artistic achievement in the depiction of REH’s life and/or work
- ADRIAN SMITH – Artwork for Conan boardgame by Monolith (depicting various REH characters)
Black Circle Award – Lifetime Achievement
[None of the nominees achieved the minimum percentage of votes.]