The Horror Writers Association has announced that its 2017 Scholarship From Hell recipient is Billicent James San Juan.
The scholarship includes roundtrip domestic travel to and from Long Beach, a four-night stay on the Queen Mary, free registration to StokerCon2017 and as many Horror University workshops as she’d like to attend.
Second runner-up Lisa Blair Kroger will receive a convention membership donated by Tim Waggoner, registration to his Horror University class and one more Horror University class of her choice.
Third runner-up Garrett Johnson will receive a convention membership and one Horror University class of his choice.
Horror University has more than 20 different sessions and other options this year.
StokerCon 2017 takes place April 27-30 on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.
The Horror Writers Association is accepting applications for its Scholarship From Hell until March 15.
The winner of the scholarship will receive a trip to StokerCon 2017 aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California, and participate in the intensive, hands-on workshop environment of “Horror University.”
Horror University has more than 20 different sessions and other options this year, conducted by these notable authors and editors:
- Gretchen McNeil: Character-Driven Plotting and the 3-Act Horror Novel
- Jonathan Maberry: Act Like a Writer
- Jack Ketchum: Writing from Experience, Writing from the Wound
- Linda Addison: Scary Forms: The World of Structured Poetry for All Writers
- Nicole Cushing: How to Give a Great interview
- Joe Nassise: Story Engines
- John Skipp: How to Write Like a Scenarist (And Adapting to Stage, Screen and Comics)
- Josh Finney / Kat Rocha: Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels
- James Chambers: Picturing Fear: Writing Horror Comics and Graphic Novels
- Tim Waggoner: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Horror
- Ace Antonio Hall: Lord of the Flies: Fitness for Writers
- Patrick Freivald: Saying More with Less
- Sèphera Girón: Tarot Cards and Writing 101
- Hank Schwaeble: Saying More With Less
- Jason V. Brock: Take Your Writing to Another Level
- Johnny Worthen: Mistakes Were Made
- Michael Arnzen: Making Readers Squirm
- Tom Leveen: How to Write Awesome Dialog
- Kate Jonez: Editing Intensive
Membership in HWA or StokerCon is not necessary in order to apply. Enter using the form here.
The scholarship winner will be announced March 30.
Everyone else who is interested can purchase admissions to the individual sessions can be here.
The Horror Writers Association has announced that its Scholarship From Hell recipient is Sumiko Saulson.
The scholarship includes roundtrip domestic travel to Las Vegas, accommodations at the Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, registration to StokerCon 2016, and as many workshops as she can attend
Additionally, HWA awarded a runner-up mini-scholarship (registration & five workshops) to Hillary Dodge.
The Scholarship From Hell (for StokerCon) puts the recipient into an intensive, hands-on workshop environment (called Horror University). There are 18 instructors lined up for the workshop, including Jonathan Maberry, Jo Fletcher, Stephen Jones and Lucy Snyder.