Apex Publications’ Revive the Drive subscription campaign has begun, and through April 17 they’ll be working to raise $10,000 to fund Apex Magazine this year.
There are new reward tiers to unlock, original fiction to add to the January 2018 issue, and other incentives for you to participate – check out everything they have to offer at the Revive the Drive store.
Apex originally started its 2017 subscription drive last October, but after the election they ended it early despite not achieving their goal; that was not a good time to be pushing a drive. Now they’re starting again: they still need to make ends meet.
During the drive Apex Magazine subscriptions will be marked down to $17 for 12 issues.
As people subscribe and the total on their funding thermometer goes up, the staff will unlock the following reward tiers:
- $500 – Polls will open for readers to vote for the cutest/best Apex animal mascot: Pumpkin versus Oz! (Expect loads of adorable pics on social media as the editors try to sway you to vote for their pet!) Also, Jason Sizemore and Lesley Connor will each donate $25 to the Humane Society
- $1,000 – Apex will donate two short story critiques (one each from Jason and Lesley) to the ConOrBust auction, as well a membership to Imaginarium this October
- $1,500 – Jason and Lesley’s It Follows debate goes live! Join the editors as they watch It Follows and live tweet the entire experience. If you’ve been following their conversations about the movie on Twitter, then you do not want to miss this! Date and time will be announced once this tier has been unlocked.
- $2,000 – an original short story by Tade Thompson in the January 2018 issue
- $2,500 – a poem to the January 2018 issue
- $3,000 – a reprint to the January 2018 issue
- $3,500 – Andrea Johnson will conduct a video interview with Jason Sizemore, asking him questions submitted by the readers
- $4,000 – a nonfiction essay to the January 2018 issue
- $4,500 – a second poem to the January 2018 issue
- $5,000 – an original short story by Delilah S. Dawson in the January 2018 issue
- $5,500 – podcast a second original story in the January 2018 issue
- $6,000 – Apex donates a membership to ConFusion to ConOrBust
- $6,500 – raise cover artist rates to $75
- $7,000 – original artwork for all original fiction unlocked during the drive for the January 2018 issue
- $7,500 – an original short story by Cherie Priest in the January 2018 issue
- $8,000 – behind the scenes video with Jason
- $8,500 – original artwork for all six stories in the January 2018 issue
- $9,000 – a new print issue of Apex Magazine: SFFH #1
- $9,500 – raise author rates to 7 cents per word
- $10,000 – an original short story by Jacqueline Carey in the January 2018 issue
- STRETCH GOAL!!! $15,000 – raise author rates to 8 cents per word and artist rates to $100!
Readers who already have a subscription can renew now for only $17 and add another 12 months to their existing subscription. Or make a donation of at least $5 and get a personalized Thank You! postcard from managing editor Lesley Conner—she has a stack of vintage sci-fi novel cover postcards that she’s just dying to share.
The easiest way to support the drive is to subscribe directly through Apex or by purchasing one of the many donated items offered exclusively during the drive, but anyone who prefers to subscribe through Weightless Books or Amazon can get their subscription counted toward the drive by emailing a copy of the receipt to Lesley at email@example.com.