Baen released The Year’s Best Military SF & Space Opera edited by David Afsharirad on June 2, at the same time throwing open voting for the work in the volume most deserving of the accolade “Year’s Best Military and Adventure Science Fiction Story.”
The award honors the best of the best in this grand storytelling tradition, and its winner will receive an inscribed plaque and a $500 prize.
Table of Contents
- Preface by David Afsharirad
- Excitement! Adventure! Science Fiction! by David Drake
- “Codename: Delphi” by Linda Nagata (Lightspeed, April 2014)
- “Persephone Descending” by Derek Künsken (Analog Science Fiction and Fact, November 2014)
- “The End of the Silk Road” by David D. Levine (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2014)
- “Picket Ship” by Brad R. Torgersen (Baen.com, September 2014)
- “Decaying Orbit” by Robert R. Chase (Asimov’s Science Fiction, October/November 2014)
- “Morrigan in the Sunglare” by Seth Dickinson (Clarkesworld, March 2014)
- “Light and Shadow” by Linda Nagata (War Stories: New Military Science Fiction)
- “Icarus at Noon” by Eric Leif Davin (Galaxy’s Edge, May/June 2014)
- “Soft Casualty” Michael Z. Williamson (Baen.com, April 2014)
- “Palm Strike’s Last Case” by Charlie Jane Anders (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, July/August 2014)
- “Brood” by Stephen Gaskell (Extreme Planets)
- “Stealing Arturo” by William Ledbetter (Baen.com, February 2014)
- “Rules of Engagement” by Matthew Johnson (Asimov’s Science Fiction, April/May 2014)
- “Ten Rules for Being an Intergalactic Smuggler (the Successful Kind)” by Holly Black (Monstrous Affections)
- “War Dog” by Michael Barretta (War Stories: New Military Science Fiction)
Voting continues until August 31. Voters must register with Baen Ebooks (your information will not be shared.) You may also send a postcard or letter with the name of your favorite story from this volume and its author to Baen Books Year’s Best Award, P.O. Box 1188, Wake Forest, NC 27587.
The winner will be announced at Dragon*Con in Atlanta on Labor Day Weekend.