CAEZIK Notables, an imprint of Arc Manor Books, is putting out a series of speculative fiction books marking important milestones in science fiction or fantasy. Each book in the series is given a new introduction highlighting the book’s significance within the genre. Two of those books were released this month, and two more are coming in June and July.
Friday by Robert A. Heinlein
- Release Date: May 5
The comeback novel for Heinlein after he recovered from his reversible neurologic dysfunction which had impacted his writing. First published in 1982.
- New introduction by Richard Chwedyk, a science fiction writer and teacher. He won a Nebula Award in 2002 and has been nominated for the Hugo Award, the Rhysling Award, and shortlisted for the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award. He has been teaching creative writing and literature, and science fiction writing, at Columbia College Chicago since 2009. He currently writes the book review column for Galaxy’s Edge magazine
Midnight At The Well Of Souls byJack L. Chalker
- Release Date: May 11
One of the original gender and species transformation novels. First published in 1977.
- New introduction by David Boop, an author, screenwriter and award-winning essayist. His debut novel, the sci-fi/noir She Murdered Me with Science was published in 2017. His follow-up, The Soul Changers, is a Victorian Horror based on Rippers is due out in 2021. As editor, David edited the bestselling weird western anthology series for Baen beginning with Straight Outta Tombstone.
The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett
- Release Date: June 15
One of the original novels of post-nuclear holocaust America, The Long Tomorrow is considered by many to be one of the finest science fiction novels ever written on the subject. First published in 1955.
- New introduction by Howard Andrew Jones, author of the historical fantasy novels, The Desert of Souls, and its sequel, The Bones of the Old Ones. He has also written a Pathfinder Tales novel, Plague of Shadows.
Simulacron-3 by Daniel F. Galouye
- Release Date: July 13, 2021
The original “Cyberpunk” novel. A story about virtual reality written before anyone knew about the concept. It has been converted into various media productions. First published 1964.
- New introduction by Richard Chwedyk.
COMING ATTRACTIONS. Three more books scheduled for release as Caezik Notables in the coming months are:
- Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein (intro not yet decided, 9/7/21)
- Bolo: Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade by Keith Laumer (intro by Jack Campbell, 9/7/21)
- The Warlock in Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff (intro not yet decided, 2/8/22)