Ithaca College’s 2013 Rod Serling Conference will be held November 8-9 at the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City. Sessions already announced are —
- Reading by Anne Serling, author of As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling
- 1964 Holiday Gift From Rod Serling: Carol for Another Christmas by Gordon Webb
- An Exploration of Anti-War Themes in Rod Serling’s The Twilight Zone Episodes by Michael Moodian
- “Assault” on “The Maritime Zone”: Rod Serling’s Screenplay of a Jack Finney Novel by Joseph Zarzynski
- Sending in the Extremists to the Cornfield: Rod Serling’s Crusade Against Radical Conservation by Mark Boulton
- Serling and the Kennedy Administration by Amy Boyle Johnston
- Singing the Body Electric: The Symbiotic Relationship Between The Twilight Zone and the Literature of Speculative Fiction by Don Pizzaro
- Westport in Rod Serling’s The Twilight Zone by Arlen Schumer
There will also be a bus tour ($25 extra) to visit Rod Serling’s star on the Walk of Fame, the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a place where the “Hollywood” sign can be photographed.
The Serling Conference is held every two years. Serling taught at Ithaca College from 1967 to 1975 and its campus is home to the Rod Serling Archives.
Themes of past conferences included “Submitted for Your Approval” in April 2006, “The Life and Legacy of Rod Serling” in March 2008, and “Celebrating 50 Years of The Twilight Zone” in 2009. The conferences present research, anecdotes, and an opportunity to view some of the classics of early television. The proceedings from past conferences are available here [PDF, 7 MB].