By Keith G. Kato: The new officers for The Heinlein Society were selected at its September 9, 2019 Board of Directors meeting. They are:
- President and Chairman of the Board: John Tilden of Maryland. “JT” was previously Treasurer of the Society, and succeeds Geo Rule of Minnesota as President.
- Vice President-Secretary: Dr. C. Herbert Gilliland of Maryland, Emeritus Professor of English at the United States Naval Academy, continues as Vice President-Secretary.
- Treasurer: Dr. Beatrice Kondo of Maryland succeeds John Tilden as Treasurer. Dr. Kondo was re-elected for another three-year term this year, and is the daughter of the late Dr. Yoji Kondo, astrophysicist for NASA who wrote SF under the name Eric Kotani.
The results of this year’s Board of Directors election was announced at the Society’s online phone-in Annual Meeting on September 8. Three of nine Board seats are elected each year. By seniority the remainder of the Board is:
- SFWA Grandmaster Joe Haldeman of Florida, re-elected for another three-year term.
- John Seltzer of Washington state.
- Betsey Wilcox of Texas.
- Walt Boyes of Missouri.
- Mike Sheffield of California.
- Ken Walters of Tennessee, elected to his first three-year term.
At the Annual Meeting, President Geo Rule stated he chose not to run for re-election to the Board due to his increased work commitments, which he felt would not allow him to give the Society the time and effort the job required. He would continue his committee work.