Detroit will host the 2014 NASFiC, Kevin Standlee is reporting. Detroit edged Phoenix 231-210. The official announcement will be made at the Sunday Business Meeting, and the winner will name its guests.
The Helsinki, Orlando and Spokane bids for the 2015 Worldcon, the KC in 2016 Worldcon bid, and the two 2014 NASFiC bids made presentations and fielded questions at a Fannish Inquisition during Westercon 66. Kevin Standlee performed the introductions. Lisa Hayes shot video of all the segments and they are available both here and on YouTube.
LoneStarCon 3 has posted the responses of all 2014 NASFiC and 2015 Worldcon Site Selection bidders to a standard set of Fannish Inquisition type questions here.
Or you can go directly to the PDF documents.
2015 Worldcon Bidder FAQs
2014 NASFiC Bidder FAQs
LoneStarCon 3 is now accepting votes for the sites of the 2015 Worldcon and the 2014 North American Science Fiction Convention (“NASFiC”).
- Helsinki, Finland. The bidders propose to hold the con August 6-10, 2015 at the Helsinki Exhibition and Conference Centre and the Holiday Inn Helsinki Exhibition & Convention Centre. Learn more at www.helsinkiin2015.org.
- Orlando, Florida. The bidders would hold the con from September 2-6, 2015, at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort and Convention Center. Learn more at www.orlandoin2015.org.
- Spokane, Washington. The bidders want to hold the con from August 19-23, 2015, using the Spokane Convention Center, the Doubletree Spokane, the Red Lion at the Park, and Red Lion River Inn. Learn more at www.spokanein2015.org.
The NASFiC is held in any year when the Worldcon is hosted outside North America, as it will be next year in London. The NASFiC bids are:
- Detroit, Michigan. The convention would be held from July 17- 20, 2014, at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center. Learn more at detroitin2014.org. .
- Phoenix, Arizona. The convention would be held July 30-August 3, 2014, at the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center. Learn more at phoenixin2014.org.
For voting details see http://www.lonestarcon3.org/wsfs/wsfs-site.shtml.
The full press release follows the jump.
LoneStarCon 3, this year’s Worldcon, confirms the following bids have filed for the 2015 Worldcon and the 2014 NASFiC. Site selection voting for those years is administered by LSC3.
The filed 2015 Worldcon bids are:
- Helsinki in 2015: A bid for Helsinki, Finland. The convention would be held August 6-10. The proposed facilities are the Helsinki Exhibition and Conference Centre and the Holiday Inn Helsinki Exhibition & Convention Centre. Learn more at www.helsinkiin2015.org.
- Orlando in 2015: A bid for Orlando, Florida. The convention would run from September 2-6. The proposed facility is Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort and Convention Center. Learn more at www.orlandoin2015.org.
- Spokane in 2015: A bid for Spokane, Washington. The convention would be held August 19-23. The main facilities would be the Spokane Convention Center, the Doubletree Spokane, the Red Lion at the Park, and Red Lion River Inn. Learn more at www.spokanein2015.org.
Two bids have been filed for the 2014 NASFiC. WSFS runs a North American Science Fiction Convention whenever the Worldcon travels outside the continent, as it will in 2014. The NASFiC bids are:
- Detroit in 2014: The convention would be held July 17-20 in the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center. Learn more at detroitin2014.org.
- Phoenix in 2014: The convention would be held July 30-August 3, 2014, at the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center. Learn more at phoenixin2014.org.
Voting information is in the full press release which follows the jump.
WSFS also holds a NASFiC (North American Science Fiction Convention) when the Worldcon is voted to a city outside of North America. With London having won the 2014 site selection, fans now get to choose between Detroit and Phoenix for the location of the NASFiC.
Detroit, Michigan: Tammy Coxen’s bid proposes to hold the NASFiC July 17-20, 2014 at the Detroit Renaissance Center Marriott. The Marriott has 1,200 rooms and 100,000 sq. ft. of function space. The site recently hosted a 10,000 member anime convention, Youmacon.
The Detroit bid committee includes Anne Gray, Kim Kofmel, Mark Hall, Lisa Garrison Ragsdale, Jeff Beeler and David Stein, and local conrunners, several who have helped run ConFusion and Penguincon.
Facebook page: Detroit In 2014
Phoenix, Arizona: Mike Willmoth’s bid wants to hold the con July 31-August 3, 2014 – dates chosen to avoid overlap with Loncon 3 or EuroCon.
The proposed facilty is the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel in Tempe, Arizona (which is just outside Phoenix). It has been the site for previous events sponsored by Leprecon,Inc.,including the 2009 North American Discworld Convention, FiestaCon (Westercon 62),the 2006 Nebula Awards Weekend,and World Fantasy 2004.
The Bid Committee, Bid Staff, Bid Volunteer, and the current Board of Directors of Leprecon include: Len Berger, Mark Boniece, Warren Buff, Michael Contos, Oz Drummond, Bobbie Dufault, Kathy Duval, Bruce Farr, Jeff George, Jerry Gieseke, Glenn Glazer, Jean Goddin, Chris “Glug” Hensley, Charlene “Charlie” Harmon, Steve Harmon, Patti Hultstrand, Anastasia Hunter, Don Jacques, Jeff Jennings, Louise Kleba, Dina Krause, Bill Laubenheimer, Michael “Moebius” Markman, Pam Matthews, Sean McCoy, Tim Miller, Dawn Mullan, Cathy Mullican, Ron Oakes, Carole Parker, Nora Rankin, Heather Stern, Kathy Sullivan, Gary Swaty, Paul Tanton, Bill Thomasson, Adam Tilghman, Arlen Walker, Lee Whiteside, and Mike Willmoth.
Facebook page: Phoenix in 2014