By JJ: Enquiring Hugo voter minds want to know: When will we be able to vote online? When will the Hugo Voter Packet be available?
In the tradition of similar File 770 posts on the subject in years past, here is a comparison of the deadlines and availability dates of recent Worldcons.
Because what the hell, we’ve got time to kill. And a year from now, someone is going to ask about this again, the way they do every year.
- In 2008 and 2009, the Hugo Voter Packet was put together by John Scalzi
- In 2012, the Hugo Voter Packet was released in stages starting on May 18, becoming fully available on May 30
- With the Exception of 2009, 2016, and 2017, all Finalist Announcements were made on Easter weekend
Chicon 7 in 2012 and Renovation in 2011 were the Worldcons which had online voting up and running the fastest, at 2 and 5 days following the announcement of the Finalists. Denvention 3 in 2008 and Renovation were the Worldcons which had the Hugo Voter Packet available the most quickly, at 3 and 4 weeks following the Finalist announcement.
While you’re waiting for the Hugo Voter Packet, here’s a list of links to read the 2018 Hugo Finalists which are available for free online.
- – days between online nominations becoming available and nomination deadline
- – days between nomination deadline and finalist announcement
- – days between finalist announcement and online voting becoming available
- – days between finalist announcement and Hugo Voter Packet becoming available
- – days between online voting becoming available and voting deadline
- – days between voting deadline and the start of Worldcon
Update 04/29/2018: Added graph.