The Prix Utopiales 2017 were announced November 4 during an award ceremony at the Utopiales International Science Fiction Festival of Nantes in France. Here are the winners in the fiction and comic book categories.
The European Utopiales Award
- L’Installation de la peur by Rui Zink, translated from the Portuguese “A Instalação do Medo” (The Installation of Fear) by Maira Muchnik
The award recognizes a novel, or a collection, published in French during the eligibility period by a European author. The prize has a cash value of 3000 euros.
Prix Utopiales Européen Jeunesse 2017 (Utopiales European Youth Awards)
- Le jardin des épitaphes, tome 1: Celui qui reste debout, Taï-Marc Le Thanh (Didier jeunesse)
The award has a cash value of 2000 euros. The winner was chosen by a jury of seven young people from the Nantes region, aged between 13 and 16: Stellenn Le Moine, Alban Mentzer, Irenee Brasseur, Anais Gervais, Louis Espi, Garance Tulli-Houzet, Ruffine Kitenge. President of the Jury: Denis E. Savine, translator.
Prix Utopiales BD 2017 (for Best Comic Book)
- La terre de fils de Gilpi (Éditiones Futuropolis)
Prix Extraordinare Utopiales 2017
- Pierre Bordage, French sff novelist
— L'Atalante (@Latalante) November 4, 2017
- Feldrik Rivat for Le Contrat Antonov-201
The prize is for unpublished short fiction in French by non-Canadian writers. The winner receives € 1000. The winning work will be published in the Winter 2017 issue of the Canadian prozine Solaris.
Presented earlier this weekend was the Julia Verlanger Prize, a literary award established in 1986 which honors science fiction and fantasy novels.
Prix Julia Verlanger
- L’espace d’un an et Libration de Becky Chambers (L’Atalante) (A Closed and Common Orbit)
And the winner is… Becky Chambers !
Prix Julia Verlanger 2017 pour L’espace d’un an et Libration. pic.twitter.com/IPo7I0nOrq
— L'Atalante (@Latalante) November 3, 2017