The finalists for the 2016 Compton Crook Award have been announced by the Baltimore Science Fiction Society:
- 5 to 1 by Holly Bodger, Published by Knopf Books for Young Readers, Released 5/15/15
- Owl and the Japanese Circus by Kristie Charish, Published by Gallery Books (Canadian Origin edition), Released 1/13/15
- I Will Love You FOREVER (Protector Book 1) by Brian Groover, Published by Taproot, LLC (Createspace), Released 1/21/15
- The Gracekeepers: A Novel by Kirsty Logan, Published by Crown, Released 3/19/15
- The Thorn of Dentonhill: A Novel of Maradaine by Marshall Ryan Maresca, Published by DAW, Released 2/3/15
- Beasts of Tabat (The Tabat Quarter) by Cat Rambo, Published by Wordfire Press, Released 2/20/15
- Flex (‘Mancer) by Ferret Steinmetz, Published by Angry Robot Books, Released 3/3/15
- Enter the Janitor (The Cleaners, Vol. 1) by Josh Vogt, Published by Wordfire Press, Released 5/4/15
- Updraft by Fran Wilde, Published by TOR, Released 9/1/15
The award winner will be announced in May at Balticon 50.
The Compton Crook Award is presented by the Baltimore Science Fiction Society to the best first novel by an individual (no collaborations) published each year in the field of Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror. Selection is made by vote of the BSFS membership. The winner gets $1,000 and has his/her way paid to Balticon for two years.
The Award is named for science fiction author Compton Crook (d. 1981), who wrote under the nom de plume Stephen Tall. The award has been given since 1983.