This October, Marvel Comics presents Marvel’s Voices: Comunidades! This latest one-shot in the groundbreaking Marvel’s Voices series will continue the tradition of highlighting the cultural richness of Marvel Comics and uplifting new voices in the comic book industry. Following the success of Marvel’s Voices: Legacy and Marvel’s Voices: Pride, Marvel’s Voices: Comunidades will turn the spotlight to Latinx heroes and creators from the Marvel Universe.
These all-new stories will feature adventures of some of Marvel’s most popular heroes — Miles Morales, Ghost Rider, America Chavez, and more — while celebrating the range of their cultural heritage as told by fan-favorite writers and artists and those making their Marvel Comics debut.
- Writer Terry Blas introduces a brand-new hero in an adventure spinning out of his acclaimed Reptil series.
- New York Times best-selling author Daniel José Older revisits the legacy of Marvel’s first super hero of Latino descent, Hector Ayala aka White Tiger, in an inspiring story rooted in real history.
- Catch up with the current White Tiger, Ava Ayala, when author Amparo Ortiz has the young hero confront the dark nature of her powers.
- Travel to the past with writer Juan Ponce to witness Nina the Conjuror, the Brazilian Sorcerer Supreme of the 1950s, battle the raging nature spirit known as Anhangá.
- Plus an introduction by renowned comics scholar Frederick Luis Aldama about the history of Latinx heroes and creators in the comic book industry.
“This is such an excellent project, and I’m very happy to get to be part of it,” Daniel José Older said. “I’ve read all the Marvel’s Voices collections and loved them, so it’s great to be able to write for one! ¡Pa’lante!”
Marvel’s first Latino super hero, White Tiger, was created by writer Bill Mantlo and artist George Pérez in 1974’s Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu #19. Since then, Marvel has introduced many heroes of Latino-descent from a multitude of different backgrounds including current stars such as Miles Morales, America Chavez, and Reptil.
Marvel’s Voices: Comunidades #1 hits stands on October 20th! For more information, visit Marvel.com.
[Based on a press release.]
MARVEL’S VOICES: COMMUNITY (COMUNIDADES) #1
- Variant Cover by MATEUS MANHANINI
- Variant Cover by MARIA WOLF & MIKE SPICER
- Variant Cover by NABETSE ZITRO & JESUS ABURTOV
- Remastered Variant Cover by GEORGE PÉREZ & JAVA TARTAGLIA
I haven’t read current Marvel in 20 years because I don’t like it’s digitalisation among other things but I’m glad it’s promoting racial and cultural diversity in series such as this one, especially since I come from a Hispanic background myself.