By Daniel Dern: An email from one of my Boskone Gilbert & Sullivan panel panelists led me to see if any video clips of the MIT production HMS Pinafore: TNG that I wrote about (“Speaking of Gilbert & Sullivan & Science Fiction…”) had been posted (they hadn’t)… which, unsurprisingly, turned up a handful of interesting related links, re-proving (and reminding me) that, for whatever I’m about to write about, “when in doubt, do a web search.”
There are several instances of G&S being sung in Star Trek, including:
- In the Star Trek: Insurrection movie, “Picard and Worf sing HMS Pinafore in an effort to control a renegade Data.”
- Via TrekMovie.com: “USS Pinafore – The Live Mashup Of Gilbert & Sullivan and Star Trek”:
Geordi LaForge was coaxed by Beverly Crusher into singing a bit from ‘I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General’ from The Pirates of Penzance in the TNG episode ‘Disaster.’ (TNG: S5-E5))
- Not to mention a shorter bit of G&S in a Babylon V episode)
And here’s a bunch of non-sf G&S in pop culture from the Gilbert & Sullivan Very Light Opera Company’s “G&S Resources” page, including Frazier, Car 54, Network TV, and Mass Effect 2 (a video RPG)
and Daleks doing a medley
It turns out (i.e., I’ve learned in the course of web-searching for videos) that there are earlier/alternate Trek-ed-up Pinafores:
“H.M.S. Starship Pinafore: The Next Generation” goes back nearly two decades:
H.M.S. Starship Pinafore: The Next Generation is a Star Trek adaptation of two famous Gilbert and Sullivan operettas (HMS Pinafore and Trial by Jury). In Toronto, it was first presented by the North Toronto Players in 1999.
That’s not what I saw at M.I.T.’s Spring 2018 production, they did pure Pinafore (no Trial By Jury, and near-zero textual modifications).
Here’s clips from at least two productions:
Stanford Savoyards’ production of HMS Pinafore: The Next Generation (January/February 2013).
- HMS Pinafore: TNG — “I am the captain of the Pinafore”
- HMS Pinafore: TNG — “When I was a lad”
Southampton Operatic Society, 2001
Mike Pavitt (Captain Kirkoran) and David Tatnall (Klingon Deadeye) in Southampton Operatic Society’s 2001 Star Trek version of HMS Pinafore.
- The Merry Maiden and the Tar – HMS Pinafore (2001)
The Crown City Theatre Company in North Hollywood, CA, 2010
- Crown City promo video (lots of ST references! And a piece of Mikado’s “Three Little Maids”
But alas! I’m still not finding any from the MIT May 2018 production.