Winners and accepters at Nebula Awards ceremony: (L to R) Steven Gould, Nancy Kress, Mary Anne Mohanraj, Scott Edelman, Ursula Vernon, Larry Niven, Stanley Schmidt, Usman T Malik, Sam J Miller, and Matthew Kressel. Photo by Ernest Lilley.
This collective shot of winners and accepters of SFWA awards was taken by Ernest Lilley after the Nebula Awards ceremony on June 6. I could use a hand (several hands!) identifying all the people in the photo. [Thanks to everyone for helping to fill in the caption.]
Kathi Overton also gave permission to repost her photos of the ceremony.
Nancy Kress accepts Nebula for “Yesterdays Kin.” Jody Lyn Nye stands at right. Photo by Kathi Overton.
Larry Niven accepts SFWA’s Damon Knight Grand Master Award. Photo by Kathi Overton.
Katherine Addison (Sarah Monette) receives her Nebula nominee certificate from SFWA President Steven Gould at a pre-banquet ceremony. Photo by Kathi Overton.
Stanley Schmidt accepts the Solstice Award. Photo by Kathi Overton.
SFWA President-elect Cat Rambo, Event Coordinator Steven H Silver at the podium, Kate Baker, and SFWA President Steven Gould. (And Nick Offerman’s loaner guitar.) Photo by Kathi Overton.
SFWA Grand Masters Larry Niven, Joe Haldeman and Connie Willis. Photo by Kathi Overton.
I think the woman to the right of Nancy Kress is Mary Ann Mohanraj, who founded Strange Horizons.
Marion: Thank you! I have even blogged about her in the past, yet I couldn’t get the name to click in memory, and none of the referents I could think to try here or on Google brought up the answer.
The gent standing between Mary Ann Mohanraj and Ursula Vernon in the top photo appears to be Scott Edelman.
Richard: Thanks — and I’d better get that up in a hurry before Scott finds out I didn’t recognize him. *blush*
The 3 on the right are (L-R) Usman T Malik, Sam J Miller, and Matthew Kressel.
JJ: Thanks for finishing the puzzle!
Woot! Congrats to them all!
People used to dress up for the Nebs
• Steven Gould accepted the Kevin O’Donnell Jr. Service Award on behalf of Jeffry Dwight
• Nancy Kress won Best Novella for “Yesterday’s Kin”
• Mary Ann Mohanraj accepted the Solstice Award on behalf of Joanna Russ
• Scott Edelman accepted the Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation on behalf of Guardians of the Galaxy
• Ursula Vernon won Best Short Story for “Jackalope Wives”
• Usman T Malik accepted on behalf of Jeff VanderMeer for Best Novel for Annihilation
• Larry Niven was presented with a Damon Knight Grand Master Award
• Stanley Schmidt was recognized with a Solstice Award
• Sam J Miller accepted the Andre Norton Award for YA SFF on behalf of Alaya Dawn Johnson for Love Is the Drug
• Matthew Kressel accepted on behalf of Alaya Dawn Johnson for Best Novelette for “A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai’i”
Some still did, like Mary Ann Mohanraj and Alyssa Wong, whose ’20s-style dress was gorgeous. And some of the guys dressed up as well.
Ernest Lilley says Scott Edelman’s acceptance speech for Guardians of the Galaxy was, “I….am….Groot.” Holds award aloft. “I…am Groot!.”
And Ernest says, “I realize I’ve never seen them together now.”
…I knew I should have worn a bow tie.
Wow. We clean up well. 😀
‘Grats to everyone!
There were a lot of tuxes and stunning dresses; they far outnumbered the more casual outfits. Valerie Schoen and Alyssa Wong were two stunning examples.
In the photo with Steven Silver, the people, left to right are myself, Steven H. Silver, Kate Baker, and Steven Gould. And then Nick Offerman’s guitar.
It was a great event, thanks to all the hard work that went on throughout the year and behind the scenes. The SFWA cookbook was a big hit and Nick Offerman was a funny toastmaster. Scot Edelman’s acceptance speech on behalf of Guardians of the Galaxy was perfect. 🙂
Now we can relax a week before getting started on next year’s.
Cat Rambo: Thanks for the additional identifications — I have updated that photo.
Don’t worry, Mike — sometimes I don’t recognize myself either!