The juried award is given for outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic.
- My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones (Saga Press)
- Flowers for the Sea by Zin E. Rocklyn (Tordotcom)
- “We, the Girls Who Did Not Make It” by E. A. Petricone (Nightmare Magazine, February 2021)
- “You’ll Understand When You’re a Mom Someday” by Isabel J. Kim (khōréō magazine, August 2021)
- Folk Songs for Trauma Surgeons: Stories by Keith Rosson (Meerkat Press)
- Professor Charlatan Bardot’s Travel Anthology to the Most (Fictional) Haunted Buildings in the Weird, Wild World, edited by Eric J. Guignard (Dark Moon Books)
- Unfettered Hexes: Queer Tales of Insatiable Darkness, edited by dave ring (Neon Hemlock)
- Ellen Datlow, in recognition of the anthology When Things Get Dark: Stories inspired by Shirley Jackson (Titan Books, 2021).