By JJ: Enquiring Hugo voter minds want to know: When will we be able to vote online? When will the Hugo Voter Packet be available?
In the fine tradition of similar File 770 posts on the subject in years past, and using my highly-refined statistical skills gained while acquiring my Master’s degree from Cattimothy U*, here is a comparison of the deadlines and availability dates of recent Worldcons.
Because what the hell, we’ve got time to kill. And a year from now, someone is going to ask about this again, the way they do every year.
UPDATE May 11, 2019:
The Hugo Voter Packet and Online Voting are now available.
- In 2008 and 2009, the Hugo Voter Packet was put together by John Scalzi
- In 2012, the Hugo Voter Packet was released in stages starting on May 18, becoming fully available on May 30
- With the exception of 2009, 2016, 2017, and 2019, all Finalist Announcements were made on Easter weekend
- Aussiecon 4 in 2010 had online nominations available the earliest, on January 1.
- Renovation in 2011 and Loncon 3 in 2014 had online nominations available the longest, at 82 days.
- Chicon 7 in 2012 and Renovation were the Worldcons which had online voting up and running the fastest, at 2 and 5 days following the announcement of the Finalists.
- Chicon 7 had online voting available the longest, at 113 days.
- Denvention 3 in 2008 and Renovation were the Worldcons which had the Hugo Voter Packet available the most quickly, at 3 and 4 weeks following the Finalist announcement.
1 – days between online nominations becoming available and nomination deadline
2 – days between nomination deadline and finalist announcement
3 – days between finalist announcement and online voting becoming available
4 – days between finalist announcement and Hugo Voter Packet becoming available
5 – days between online voting becoming available and voting deadline
6 – days between voting deadline and the start of Worldcon
While you’re waiting for the Hugo Voter Packet, here’s a list of links to read the 2019 Hugo Finalists which are available for free online.
*The Camestros Felapton University for Beating Statistical Horses Until They Are Thoroughly Dead