By JJ: The Nebula Finalists have just been announced, and if you’d like to check them out to see whether you think they’d be good contenders for your Hugo ballot, you can use this handy guide to find material which is available for free online.
Where available in their entirety, works are linked (most of the Novelettes and Short Stories are free). If not available for free, an Amazon link is provided. If a free excerpt is available online, it has been linked. (In some cases, you may need to scroll down the linked page and/or click on an “Excerpt” link to see the excerpt.)
Have you read / seen / played any of these already? What did you think?
Fair notice: All Amazon links are referrer URLs which benefit fan site Worlds Without End.
- The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor) (excerpt)
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager US; Harper Voyager UK) (excerpt)
- Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller (Ecco; Orbit UK) (excerpt)
- Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (Del Rey; Macmillan) (Chapter 1) (Chapter 2)
- Witchmark by C.L. Polk (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga) (excerpt)
- Fire Ant by Jonathan P. Brazee (Semper Fi) (excerpt) (full text EPUB MOBI PDF)
- The Black God’s Drums by P. Djèlí Clark (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard (Subterranean) (excerpt) (audio excerpt)
- Alice Payne Arrives by Kate Heartfield (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- Artificial Condition by Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- “The Only Harmless Great Thing” by Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing) (excerpt)
- “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com 7/11/18)
- “An Agent of Utopia” by Andy Duncan (An Agent of Utopia) (excerpt)
- “The Substance of My Lives, the Accidents of Our Births” by José Pablo Iriarte (Lightspeed 1/18)
- “The Rule of Three” by Lawrence M. Schoen (Future Science Fiction Digest 12/18)
- “Messenger” by Yudhanjaya Wijeratne and R.R. Virdi (Expanding Universe, Volume 4) (excerpt) (EPUB and MOBI download)
- “Interview for the End of the World” by Rhett C. Bruno (Bridge Across the Stars) (EPUB / MOBI/ PDF)
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington” by Phenderson Djèlí Clark (Fireside 2/18)
- “Going Dark” by Richard Fox (Backblast Area Clear) (PDF) (audio version)
- “And Yet” by A.T. Greenblatt (Uncanny 3-4/18)
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex 2/6/18)
- “The Court Magician” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed 1/18)
- Black Mirror: Bandersnatch by Charlie Brooker (House of Tomorrow & Netflix) (trailer)
- The Road to Canterbury by Kate Heartfield (Choice of Games) (trailer) (free download and sample gameplay)
- God of War by Matt Sophos, Richard Zangrande Gaubert, Cory Barlog, Orion Walker, and Adam Dolin (Santa Monica Studio/Sony/Interactive Entertainment) (trailer)
- Rent-A-Vice by Natalia Theodoridou (Choice of Games) (trailer) (free download and sample gameplay)
- The Martian Job by M. Darusha Wehm (Choice of Games) (trailer) (free download and sample gameplay)
The Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation
- The Good Place: “Jeremy Bearimy”, Written by: Megan Amram (trailer)
- Black Panther, Written by: Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole (trailer)
- A Quiet Place, Screenplay by: John Krasinski, Bryan Woods and Scott Beck (trailer)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Screenplay by: Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman (trailer)
- Dirty Computer Written by: Janelle Monáe and Chuck Lightning (full video on YouTube & Vimeo)
- Sorry to Bother You, Written by: Boots Riley (trailer)
The Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (Henry Holt; Macmillan) (excerpt)
- Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi (Rick Riordan Presents) (excerpt) (video excerpt)
- A Light in the Dark by A.K. DuBoff (BDL) (click on the cover for excerpt)
- Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman (Random House) (excerpt)
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland (Balzer + Bray) (excerpt)
- Peasprout Chen: Future Legend of Skate and Sword by Henry Lien (Henry Holt) (excerpt)
Thanks for the mention. Re: Messenger: we set up an epub and mobi on a gDrive folder for the SWFA reading list. If you like, here it is: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1_u-LBI_VtQViFyp2cGfRMEPqYd-JbYql
Thanks for this, JJ
This is a lot of hard work to put this together. Thank you, JJ!
Thank you JJ!
Yudhanjaya W: Re: Messenger: we set up an epub and mobi on a gDrive folder for the SWFA reading list.
Thanks, the link has been added.
I’ve never even heard of most of these.
Although my Hugo list so far does include MRK, Murderbot, “Only Harmless”, “Detective/Tea Master”, “Black Panther”, “Dirty Computer” AND, the thing I really really really must insist y’all put down for the Lodestar (drum roll):
A delight for all ages, genders, orientations, and races (but esp. Chinese people, who will get the jokes that went past my barbarian self). If you enjoy Oor Wombat, you’ll like this*. Deeply heartfelt, great action, intrigue, and, um… I liked it better than Harry Potter.
I have the Kindle AND the paperback, the Kindle of #2, and can’t wait for #3.
*Example: one of the teachers picks up extra money by having her trained flock of parrots sky-write the local tabloid headlines over the city. As one does.
There’s a problem with the link to the witch short story.
Lise Andreasen: There’s a problem with the link to the witch short story.
Thanks, Lise, it should be fixed now. 🙂
Thank you for compiling this!
You can download Fire Ant here:
Jonathan Brazee: You can download Fire Ant here
Thanks for that, I’ve updated the post.
Pingback: Some Thoughts on the 2018 Nebula Award Finalists | Cora Buhlert
Pingback: Perjury, Not Piracy Is The Problem | File 770
Pingback: Brought to You By The Letter Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! | File 770