Clarke had this to say bout the first phase:
The announcement was sent out via Twitter, Facebook, Patreon, and my blog. The brevity of this phase was an experiment. In theory, it would create a sense of urgency and reduce the opportunities for a coordinated ballot-stuffing campaign. It worked. The nomination phase generated more responses than the majority of our full surveys from years past and a significant reduction in stuffing—though there were some very clumsy attempts to do so, of course.
The finalists are:
- “A Series of Steaks” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (January)
- “Waiting Out the End of the World in Patty’s Place Cafe” by Naomi Kritzer (March)
- “An Account of the Sky Whales” by A Que (June)
- “The Secret Life of Bots” by Suzanne Palmer (September)
- “Who Won the Battle of Arsia Mons?” by Sue Burke (November)
Best Cover Art
- Waste Pickers by Gabriel Bjork Stiernstrom (January)
- Jungle Deep by Sergei Sarichev (March)
- Sea Change by Matt Dixon (June)
- Homecoming 2 by Jonas De Ro (November)
- Eistibus, Angel of Divination by Peter Mohrbacher (December)
Voting on the finalists is open through February 24. Everyone may participate whether or not they nominated in Phase 1 – vote here.
[Thanks to Mark Hepworth for the story.]