The shortlist for the 2017 Eugie Foster Memorial Award for Short Fiction is online:
- “And Then There Were (N-One)” by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny Magazine, March/April 2017)
- “Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand” by Fran Wilde (Uncanny Magazine, September 2017)
- “Infinite Love Engine” by Violet Allen (Lightspeed Magazine, April 2017)
- “The Last Novelist (or A Dead Lizard in the Yard)” by Matthew Kressel (Tor.com, March 2017)
- “Zen and the Art of Starship Maintenance” by Tobias S. Buckell (Cosmic Powers, 2017)
Eligible works are original speculative short fiction stories no longer than 20,000 words published for the first time in the English language in the previous year.
This is a juried award, that begins with a long list of nominations coming from publishers and editors, supplemented by choices of select readers. A selection committee of spec fiction fans picks the finalists. The winner is chosen by a panel of judges, and receives a plaque and a $1000 prize. All finalists receive a pin. The award is presented at Dragon Con.
[Thanks to Mark Hepworth for the story.]