The 2020 Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic shortlist was announced July 13.
The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an annual award celebrating the best in Canadian fantastika published during the previous calendar year. Winners receive a medallion that incorporates the Sunburst logo. Winners of both the Adult and Young Adult Sunburst Award also receive a cash prize of $1,000, while winners of the Short Story Award receive a cash prize of $500.
Sunburst winners will be announced in September.
- Scott R. Jones, Shout Kill Revel Repeat [Trepidatio Publishing]
- Helen Marshall, The Migration [Random House Canada]
- Karen McBride, Crow Winter [HarperAvenue]
- Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Gods of Jade and Shadow [Del Rey]
- Richard Van Camp, Moccasin Square Gardens [Douglas & McIntyre]
YOUNG ADULT FICTION
- Nafiza Azad, The Candle and the Flame [Scholastic Inc.]
- Sara Cassidy, Nevers [Orca Book Publishers]
- Aviaq Johnston, Those Who Dwell Below [Inhabit Media]
- Jess Keating, Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray [Scholastic Inc.]
- Allison Mills, The Ghost Collector [Annick Press]
- Rebecca Campbell, “The Fourth Trimester is the Strangest” [The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2019]
- Amal El-Mohtar, “Florilegia” [The Mythic Dream, Gallery/Saga Press]
- Kate Heartfield, “The Inland Beacon” [Tesseracts Twenty-Two Alchemy and Artifacts, July 2019]
- Catherine Kim, “The Hundred Gardens” [Nat. Brut, Issue 12, Spring 2019]
- Richard Van Camp, “Wheetago War II: Summoners” [Moccasin Square Gardens, Douglas & McIntyre]
Jurors for the 2020 Award are: Peter Darbyshire , Kristyn Dunnion, Omar El Akkad, Michelle Butler Hallett, John Jantunen, Michael Johnstone, Ursula Pflug, and Sarah Tolmie.
The Sunburst Award takes its name from the debut novel of the late Phyllis Gotlieb, one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian Speculative Fiction.
[Based on a press release.]