Mark Lawrence has posted the ten Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off 2019 finalists. SPFBO began with a 300-book longlist, and every finalist was the top pick out of 30 reviewed by the blog named in brackets.
- Blood of Heirs by Alicia Wanstall-Burke (The Coraidic Sagas Book 1) [Fantasy-Faction]
- Beggar’s Rebellion by Levi Jacobs (Resonant Saga Book 1) [Fantasy Book Critic]
- Never Die by Rob J. Hayes [Lynn’s Books]
- Blade’s Edge (Chronicles of Gensokai Book 1) by Virginia McClain [The Qwillery]
- Spark City: Book One of the Spark City Cycle by Robert J. Power [ Booknest]
- The Sword of Kaigen: A Theonite War Story by M.L. Wang [Kitty G]
- Fortune’s Fool (Eterean Empire Book 1) by Angela Boord [TSWI]
- Kalanon’s Rising (Agents of Kalanon Book 1) by Darian Smith [Superstar Drifter]
- A Tale of Stars and Shadow by Lisa Cassidy [Fantasy Hive]
- A Sea of Broken Glass: A Dark Flintlock Fantasy (The Lady & The Darkness Book 1) by Sonya M. Black [Rockstarlit Book Asylum]
They’re now in phase 2 of the contest, where the participating bloggers are allowed five months to read and score the other 9 finalists, review their favorite, and lastly, review the winner.
Mark Lawrence started the SPFBO self-published fantasy book contest four years ago. Here is his Mission Statement:
The SPFBO exists to shine a light on self-published fantasy. It exists to find excellent books that might otherwise have gone unnoticed. It exists to help readers select, from the enormous range of options, books that have a better chance of entertaining them than a random choice, thereby increasing reader faith in finding a quality self-published read.
It is not:
i) Perfect. Great books will slip through this net just like they do every other net.
ii) Aimed at getting traditional publications deals. Some authors opt for them but it would be an insult to suggest that the holy grail for self published authors is a deal with a big publisher.
iii) Charged for. This is totally free. The enormous effort given by the reviewers/blogs is a gift. Don’t abuse it. #NoDrama
The winner will receive the prestigious Selfie Stick Award
[Thanks to Dann for the story.]