The finalists have been announced for Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off 7 . The competition sponsored by Mark Lawrence began with the submission of self-published fantasy works on June 1, 2021. The first 300 author-submitted works were accepted into the competition. The major qualifiers were that the book must be self-published, must be currently available for purchase, must be a work of fantasy, and must be either a stand-alone novel or the first book in a series.
The works were then divided into ten groups of 30 with each group being assigned to one of ten volunteer sites/organizations that provide reviews of works of fantasy. Each site read their 30 assigned works and promoted one book into the finalist round.
The 10 finalists are:
- Burn Red Skies by Kerstin Espinosa Rosero
- Norlyska Groans by Michael R. Fletcher and Clayton W. Snyder
- Hall of Bones (The Brotherhood of the Eagle Book 1) by Tim Hardie
- The Mortal Blade: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Magelands Eternal Siege Book 1) by Christopher Mitchell
- We Men of Ash and Shadow: The Vanguard Chronicles, Book 1 by HL Tinsley
- Shadows of Ivory: Godforged Chronicles, Book 1 by TL Greylock and Bryce O’Connor
- Reign & Ruin (Mages of the Wheel Book 1) by J.D. Evans
- The Iron Crown (Dragon Spirits Book 1) L.L. MacRae
- Legacy of the Brightwash (Tainted Dominion Book 1) by Krystle Matar
- The Forever King: Scalussen Chronicles 1 (The Scalussen Chronicles) by Ben Galley
Now that the finalists are identified, each review site will read, review, and rate the nine finalists selected by their colleagues. The winner will be the book with the highest average rating from the ten review sites.
The blogs for SPFBO 7 are:
- Fantasy Book Critic
- Lynn’s Books + The Critiquing Chemist
- The Weatherwax Report
- The Fantasy Hive
- The Fantasy Inn
- Becky M
- Before We Go Blog
[Thanks to Dann for the story.]