This June, Marvel Comics honors Pride Month with a historic celebration of LGBTQ+ characters and creators in Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1, Marvel’s first-ever queer-centered special spotlighting Marvel’s growing tapestry of LGBTQ+ characters. These stories of inspiration and empowerment will be brought to life by an assembly of writers and artists from all walks of life including Kieron Gillen, Olivier Coipel, Steve Orlando, Anthony Oliveira, Tini Howard, Vita Ayala, Kris Anka, Javier Garrón, and more.
“It blew my mind when I learned this special was being put together. Something that not too long ago seemed a wild dream is finally happening! I think this is one of those history-making touchstones for LGBTQ+ representation in Marvel, one of those moments that sets the bar higher and starts a lasting paradigm shift, and I’m just grateful to be lucky enough to be asked to contribute to it,” artist Luciano Vecchio said. “And on a more personal note, after my short story in the first Marvel’s Voices special last year, this feels like an organic progression in the right direction, and I can’t stop smiling about it.”
Since 1992’s revolutionary Alpha Flight #106 proudly confirmed Northstar’s sexuality, Marvel has represented LGBTQ+ identities with a wide array of characters and stories. Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1 will continue this legacy with thrilling adventures starring Mystique and Destiny, Nico Minoru and Karolina Dean, Iceman, Daken, Karma, and more. Plus, writer Allan Heinberg and artist Jim Cheung make their long-awaited return to Marvel Comics with a new chapter in the love story of their hit creations: Wiccan and Hulkling.
“When I was a very closeted, very lonely kid, these characters saved my life,” writer Anthony Oliveira expressed. “It’s an honor to tell stories about them and to see the kind of stories queer people can tell about queer people deepen and grow.”
In addition, Marvel Comics will commemorate Pride Month this year with a new series of stunning variant covers by legendary artist Phil Jimenez featuring some of Marvel’s most popular LGBTQ+ heroes including Wiccan, Northstar, Mystique, and more.
“I’m always blown away at how different things are now in comics when it comes to LGBTQ+ representation than when I started, and Marvel’s dedication to that inclusion,” Jimenez said. “As an (ahem!) older gay creator, I’m always thrilled by the opportunity to draw iconic LGBTQ+ characters from Marvel’s past and present, and grateful to contribute to Marvel’s future: one that truly represents the world — and the wonderful diversity of humanity — right outside your window.”
A total of nine covers, Phil Jimenez’s artwork will include the following LGBTQ+ characters: America Chavez, Black Cat, Daken, Hulkling & Wiccan, Iceman, Moondragon, Mystique, Northstar, plus the new Valkyrie who made her debut in King in Black: Return of the Valkyries (learn her true name in The Mighty Valkyries #1, on sale in April.)
Four of Phil Jimenez variant covers follow the jump.
[Based on a press release.]
On Sale 6/2
- BLACK CAT #7 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER By PHIL JIMENEZ
- MARAUDERS #21 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER By PHIL JIMENEZ
On Sale 6/9
- X-MEN #21 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER by PHIL JIMENEZ
On Sale 6/16
- THE MIGHTY VALKYRIES #3 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER by PHIL JIMENEZ
On Sale 6/23
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #15 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER by PHIL JIMENEZ
- MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER A by PHIL JIMENEZ
- MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER B by PHIL JIMENEZ
- WOLVERINE #13 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER by PHIL JIMENEZ
On Sale 6/30
- X-FACTOR #10 PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVER by PHIL JIMENEZ
On Sale 6/23
- Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1 — Written By Kieron Gillen, Allan Heinberg, Anthony Oliveira, Steve Orlando, Tini Howard, Leah Williams, Mariko Tamaki, Terry Blas, Crystal Frasier, Vita Ayala, J.J. Kirby, Luciano Vecchio & More. Art By Javier Garrón, Jim Cheung, Kris Anka, Jen Hickman, Paulina Ganucheau, Jethro Morales, Britney Williams, J.J. Kirby, Luciano Vecchio, Jan Bazaldua & More. Cover By Luciano Vecchio