By Steve Vertlieb: With my dear pal and cherished friend, Jim Burns, over dinner at Sardi’s Restaurant in New York at Christmas, 2014. Jimmy was one of my closest buddies. He could always make me laugh. Jim was a gifted writer and actor, and could charm the ladies with just a mischievous smile. He was one of my greatest supporters and champions, and had pushed for years to get me a lifetime achievement award at the annual Rondo competition. He finally succeeded in his quest, and woke me from a sound sleep only a year ago to tell me that I’d finally been elected to the prestigious Rondo Award Hall of Fame. That was last April, 2016. Two months later Jimmy was gone. He died far, far too early, and too young on Thursday, June 3rd, 2016. Today would have been his birthday. I miss you every day, Jimmy. I miss the sound of your voice. I miss your incessant telephone calls from New York. I miss your terrible jokes, and I miss the sound of your laughter. I miss you. Happy Birthday in Heaven, Jim.
Together with one of my best pals at my 70th birthday bash here in Philadelphia on December 15th, 2015. James H. Burns was the picture of health when this photograph was taken. Jimmy was loved by men and by women alike. He was charming, and handsome. He was a gifted writer, film historian, and actor, and was one of the funniest men I ever knew. Just four months after this picture was taken, Jim grew ill. On June 3rd of last year, Jimmy passed away. He was a young man with everything to live for. Today would have been his birthday. I’m thinking of my friend, Jim Burns in Heaven just now. Happy Birthday, Jimmy. I’ll never forget you.
[Editor’s note: That image of a light shining brightest just before it goes out comes immediately to mind when I list all the posts Jim wrote here in his last six months.]
JAMES H. BURNS POSTS
- May 11, 2016 – Stoop Lore
- May 10, 2016 — Dave Cockrum, and a Secret Storm
- April 29, 2016 — Space Age, on the Street (Colonel Bleep art on a van)
- April 29, 2016 — No Time For Yeomen (Don’t Tell Janice Rand)
- April 25, 2016 — Lee Falk’s Phantom of Happy Memory — And Fellini and Falk’s Mandrake!
- April 20, 2017 — Once, When We All Were Scientists (science education kits of the Sixties)
- April 13, 2017 — In Honor of the New Dr. Strange Trailer
- March 21, 2016 — Marvel at the Streets of Wonder
- March 17, 2016 — Venus, If You Will (Sylvia Anderson and Thunderbirds)
- March 14, 2016 — To the East With the Lark (Finian’s Rainbow)
- March 13, 2016 — Requiem (subway station mood piece)
- March 9, 2016 — George Martin, Beatles Producer, Passes Away
- March 4, 2016 — A George Pal and Doctor Seuss Collaboration
- February 28, 2016 — The Lost Childhood’s End: A Tale of Phil DeGuere, The Late 1970s, and Arthur C. Clarke’s Classic Novel
- February 16, 2016 — Herman’s No Hermit (Pee Wee Herman movie trailer)
- January 29, 2016 — Back In The Sunlight (why he supports gay marriage)
- January 26, 2016 — “And Everyone I Ever Heard (Don’t Ask Me How I Know)” (Rosenda Monteros profile)
- January 26, 2016 — Are We Ready Again For George Pal’s Puppetoons?
- January 15, 2016 — Happy Birthday to File 770
- January 12, 2016 — It’s BATMAN’s 50th Anniversary! At 4:30 Western Time! (That’s Bat-Time, Old Chum!)
- January 12, 2016 — Across Another Time (the attraction of bars)