Comic-Con International has announced the 2018 nominees for the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award.
The Manning Award is presented to a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. It is named for Russ Manning, the artist best known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book. Russ was a popular guest at the San Diego convention in the 1970s.
The 2018 nominees are:
- Sean Rubin, writer/artist of Bolivar (Archaia/BOOM!)
- Hamish Steele, writer/artist of Pantheon (Nobrow)
- Pablo Tunica, artist of TMNT Universe (IDW)
- Nina Vakueva, artist of Hi-Fi Fight Club/Heavy Vinyl (BOOM!)
- Campbell Whyte, writer/artist of Home Time (Top Shelf)
The nominees were chosen by a panel consisting of board and committee members of Comic-Con International and a San Diego comics retailer. The winner will be chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants. The recipient will be announced during the Eisner Awards ceremony on July 20.