The shortlist for the 2019 Eugie Foster Memorial Award for Short Fiction is online:
- “Barleycorn” by Cae Hawksmoor (Abyss & Apex)
- “The Heart of Owl Abbas” by Kathleen Jennings (Tor.com)
- “When We Were Starless” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld)
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium to Portal Fantasies” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine)
- “The War of Light and Shadow, in Five Dishes” by Siobhan Carroll (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
Eligible works are original speculative short fiction stories no longer than 20,000 words published for the first time in the English language in the previous year.
This is a juried award, that begins with a longlist of nominations coming from publishers and editors, supplemented by choices of select readers. A selection committee of spec fiction fans picks the finalists. The winner is chosen by a panel of judges, and receives a plaque and a $1000 prize. All finalists receive a pin. The award is presented at Dragon Con.
[Thanks to Mark Hepworth for the story.]