The Association of Science Fiction & Fantasy Artists (ASFA) revealed the winners of the 2020 Chesley Awards in an online ceremony today.
The Chesley is named for astronomical artist Chesley Bonestell.
Best Cover: Hardback Book
- Eric Wilkerson — Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia (Rick Riordan Presents / October 2019)
Best Cover: Paperback or Ebook
- Amanda Makepeace — The Long List Anthology Volume 5 by David Steffen (Diabolical Books / December 2019)
Best Magazine Illustration
- Evan Cagle — Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Ones #1 / August 2019
Best Interior Illustration
- John Picacio — Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (Flatiron Books/Macmillan / September 2019)
Best Gaming Related Illustration
- Charles Urbach – King By His Own Hand Official VIG (Very Important Gamer) Attendee Badge and Art Print for GameHole Con Gaming Convention (October 2019)
Best Product Illustration
- Rachel Quinlan — Olde Fae tuck box, Rachel Quinlan (Changeling Artist Collective)
Best Color Work – Unpublished
- Debbie Hughes — The Raven, The Wolf and the Maiden (Oil on panel)
Best Monochrome Work- Unpublished
- Tehani Farr — Gyhan akaii dannan Deli Iatt ”She who sits at the end of the world upon a mountain of bones dreaming” (Mixed Media, watercolor, graphite pencil)
Best Three Dimensional
- Forest Rogers — Selene (Mixed media)
Best Art Director
- Lauren Panepinto (Orbit)
Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award
- Syd Mead
Note: Syd Mead died December 30, 2019.
Photos of some of the winners and presenters follow the jump.
2020 Nominee Pin
Kristine and Colin Poole
ASFA President Sara Felix
Mia Araujo and Lauren Brown also presented