Here are the latest styles for fandom’s dudes and dudettes.
John King Tarpinian has been keeping his eye on the trendsetters, or at least copying me on his junk mail, permitting File 770 to assist you in upgrading your convention wardrobe.
Forry Ackerman & Ray Bradbury Science Fiction Ringer T-shirt – $19.99 from Captainco
“You see that, young fans? Respect. Respect for these OGs gives character.” Design pictures Forry Ackerman with friend, Ray Bradbury, rocking their sci-fi ray guns.
Red Shirt Running Team – $28 from Human
I’m a proud member of the Starfleet Red Shirt running team. Where the motto is we probably won’t make it but darn it we’ll try anyway. Where would the blue and gold shirts be without us. Show some nerdy nostalgic humor in this nerdy fitness tank.
“Just Don’t Grow Up” t-shirt – $19.99 from Captainco
Greyscale Forrest J Ackerman with quote “you can grow older, just don’t grow up.”
Then, at the very moment I am writing this, the minor league Durham Bulls are holding Game of Thrones Night in custom theme jerseys.
The team-worn jerseys are up for auction, $100 minimum bid. Here’s more detail, lifted from the team website.
We’re about to take it to a whole new level. On April 23, the Bulls of House Durham will host Game of Thrones Night. For the millions of fans of HBO’s mega-hit show and the readers of George R.R. Martin’s novels, this is your night. After all, the fantasy epic and baseball have a lot in common:
- Good guys & bad guys: we’re playing the Charlotte Knights on 4/23…yes, we did that on purpose.
- Awesome costumes: The Bulls will wear custom theme jerseys. We’re going to make you wait to see those (but trust us, they’ll be in more demand than dragon eggs).
- Plot twists: Lots of inning breaks means lots of GoT-themed entertainment. Some things you might expect, some you won’t.
- The Wall: Theirs is made of ice and keeps out the undead. Ours is made of blue-painted wood and keeps balls in play. Close enough.
- MLB Advanced Media: Baseball’s internet arm will power the HBO NOW streaming service (which will launch in time for Game of Thrones’ season five premiere) and it powers DurhamBulls.com. We’re cousins in technology.
- Lavish food & drink: Game of Thrones Night falls on a $1 concessions Thursday…you’ll feel as rich as a Lannister with all the $1 hot dogs you can buy. Plus, the DBAP’s selection of spirits rivals the finest outputs from the Arbor.
- Spirit animals: The Starks have dire wolves, we’ve got Wool E. Bull.
The major difference is, unlike the show or books, no major characters will meet their untimely demise during our event.