Spain’s Festival Celsius 232 committee revealed the 2020 shortlists for its Premios Kelvin 505 on May 8.
Congratulations to authors including Johanna Sinisalo, Nnedi Okorafor, Marlon James, whose works in Spanish translation made the finals.
The winners selected by the award juries will be announced on June 29. The trophies are scheduled for presentation at Festival Celsius 232 which takes place July 14-18 in Avilés, Spain, however, their Twitter feed indicates they are under quarantine due to the epidemic, and the fate of the con seems to be undecided.
Mejor novela original en castellano publicada por primera vez en España / Best original novel in Spanish published for the first time in Spain
- El arcano y el jilguero, by Ferran Varela (El Transbordador)
- Mars Company, by Francisco Miguel Espinosa (Aristas Martínez)
- Nuestra parte de la noche, by Mariana Enríquez (Anagrama)
- Sigilo, by Ismael Martínez Biurrun (Alianza)
Mejor novela traducida al castellano y publicada por primera vez en España / Best novel translated into Spanish and published for the first time in Spain
- El hambre, by Alma Katsu, translated into Spanish by Natalia Cervera (Alianza)
- El núcleo del sol, by Johanna Sinisalo, translated into Spanish by David Tejera (Roca)
- Leopardo negro, lobo rojo, by Marlon James, translated into Spanish by Javier Calvo (Seix Barral)
- Quien teme a la muerte, by Nnedi Okorafor, translated into Spanish by Carla Bataller Estruch (Crononauta)
Mejor novela juvenil traducida al castellano y publicada por primera vez en España / Best youth novel translated into Spanish and published for the first time in Spain
- Chicas de papel y fuego, by Natasha Ngan, translated into Spanish by Nora Inés Escoms (Puck)
- Más allá del invierno, by Kiran Millwood Hargrave, translated into Spanish by Aitana Vega (Ático de los Libros)
- Sed, by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman, translated into Spanish by Pilar Ramírez Tello (Nocturna)
- Una obsesion perversa, by Victoria E. Schwab, translated into Spanish by Nora Inés Escoms (Puck)
Mejor novela juvenil original en castellano publicada por primera vez en España / Best original juvenile novel in Spanish published for the first time in Spain
- El efecto Frankenstein, by Elia Barceló (Edebé)
- La hora zulú, by César Mallorquí (SM)
- La voz de Amunet, by Victoria Álvarez (Nocturna)
- Yo soy Alexánder Cuervo, by Patricia García-Rojo (SM)
Incidentally, the committee has a little rule that the winner has to pick up the hardware in person, which probably won’t be an option this year.
The Kelvin are only delivered in Avilés. Kelvin only travel in the suitcase of their rightful owners. Kelvin are like Thor’s hammer or Arthur’s sword. If the winner of a Kelvin is not present to pick it up, it will faithfully wait in Limbo for Expectant Kelvins until it appears the following year, or the next, or the next … The Kelvins take a breath to Cthulhu, so they are eternal , you know. And very patient.