The nominees for the Sidewise Awards for alternate history fiction published in 2008 are:
- “A Brief Guide to Other Histories,” by Paul J. McAuley (Postscripts #15)
- “G-Men,” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Sideways in Crime, edited by Lou Anders, Solaris)
- “Night Bird Soaring,” by T.L. Morganfield (Greatest Uncommon Denominator, Autumn/08)
- “The People’s Machine,” by Tobias Buckell (Sideways in Crime, edited by Lou Anders, Solaris)
- “Poison Victory,” by Albert E. Cowdrey (F&SF, 07/08)
- “Sacrifice,” by Mary Rosenblum (Sideways in Crime, edited by Lou Anders, Solaris)
- The Affinity Bridge, by George Mann (Snowbooks/Tor, 2009)
- The Dragon’s Nine Sons, by Chris Roberson (Solaris)
- Half a Crown, by Jo Walton (Tor)
- Nation, by Terry Pratchett (HarperCollins/Doubleday UK)
- Swiftly, by Adam Roberts (Gollancz)
The 2008 Sidewise Awards will be presented at Anticipation, the 67th Worldcon, to be held in Montreal, Canada from August 6-10, 2009. The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were established in 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate history fiction.
The winners are selected from a panel of judges that currently includes Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stuart Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
For more information about the Sidewise Award, visit http://www.uchronia.net/sidewise, or contact Steven H Silver, the Award Administrator, at [email protected].