The annual Darrell Awards support Midsouth Literacy by recognizing the best published Science Fiction, Fantasy and/or Horror in Short Story, Novella, Novel, Young Adult & Other Media formats. The 2019 Darrell Awards finalists are:
Best Midsouth Novel
- John E. Siers — In the Service of Luna
- Frank Tuttle — Every Wind of Change
Best Midsouth Novella
- Kevin Andrew Murphy – Find the Lady (appearing in Mississippi Roll, a Wild Cards shared-world novel)
- William Alan Webb – The Hairy Man (set in his post-apocalypse series)
Best Midsouth Other Media
- Matthew Maala — Amazing Grace (Season 3, Episode 14, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow tv series)
- Mark Powers — Dog Men (the first 6 issues in this comic book series set in Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files universe)
Best Midsouth Short Story
- Lee Ann Story — “Family Circle” (appearing in End of the World Potluck)
- Sheree Renee Thomas — “Teddy Bump” (appearing in Fiyah Lit Mag, issue 7)
- Frank Tuttle — “Knob Hill Haunt” (a free-standing Mama Hogg story in the Markhat universe)
The Darrell Awards are named in honor of the memory of Dr. Darrell C. Richardson, who was instrumental in getting the Memphis SF Association off the ground.
The 2019 Darrell Awards will be presented at MidSouthCon in Memphis on March 16.