The 2022 Seiun Awards were presented on August 27 at the 59th Japan Science Fiction Convention (F-CON) in Fukushima Prefecture.
Thanks to N. for providing the translations, who credits Terrie Hashmoto with tips and some of the translations. All titles are in English, with Romanji in the Long Work and Short Story categories. English titles, in the event of no existing English title, are translated.
BEST JAPANESE LONG WORK
- Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut (Tsuki to Raika to Nosferatu), by Keisuke Makino (Gagaga Bunko, 10/19, 7 volumes)
- Man Kind, by Taiyo Fujii (S-F Magazine, serialization ended in August 2021 issue)
BEST JAPANESE SHORT STORY
- “How to Defeat Science Fiction Writers” (SF Sakka no Taoshikata), by Satoshi Ogawa (Anomalous Papers, Kyosuke Higuchi, ed. Hayakawa, 10/19)
BEST TRANSLATED LONG WORK
- Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir (translated by Kazuko Onoda)
BEST TRANSLATED SHORT STORY
- “The One With the Interstellar Group Consciousnesses” by James Alan Gardner (translated by Chiori Sada)
BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION
- Godzilla Singular Point (TV anime)
- Psychic Squad (Zettai Karen Children), by Takashi Shiina (63 volumes)
- Super Sentai (Illustrated Gakken Book), edited by Dai Matsui (Gakken)
“The new movie version, which spanned almost 15 years since 2007, has finally come to an end. Starting from the TV series, it has been about 25 years. Many people did not live to see the end, and the conclusion of the event literally embodied the curse of Eva. We would like to pay tribute not only to the movie as a stand-alone product, but also to the completion of the series over the years.”
TWEETED ACCEPTANCE REMARKS
Best Long Work [Tie]:
“Man Kind,” which ended its serialization last year, has been selected for the 53rd Nebula Award in the Novel category.
Thank you to all of you who have been following my long serialization.
The “Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut” series has won the “Nebula Award, Japanese Novel Category”! (Simultaneously awarded with Mr. Taiyo Fujii)
We are very grateful for this wonderful honor and for all of you who supported us. Thank you so much!
Best Dramatic Presentation: Here is the award for Godzilla.
“Godzilla Singular Point” has won the 53rd Nebula Award in the media category!
Director Atsushi Takahashi took the stage at today’s award ceremony at the 59th Japan Science Fiction Convention F-CON.
Please enjoy #Godzilla SP on Blu-ray & DVD and Netflix!
“Zettai Karen Children” won the Nebula Award in the comic category. Thank you! Finally, I was recognized as a science fiction writer! From now on, it is now safe to call myself a “science fiction writer!” (How about that?)
“#GAKKEN’s Illustrated Book: Super Sentai” won the Nebula Award!
We are very honored to announce that we have won the 53rd #Nebula Award for Nonfiction! Thank you very much for this very prestigious award! We would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all those who recommended and voted for this book!
Full opening ceremony of F-CON where the awards were also held.
(Not subbed; I’m not gonna do that, sorry. Haha)