Smofcon 37, the convention for conrunners, taking place December 6-8 in Albuquerque, NM, asked Worldcon, and Smofcon bidders, and seated Worldcon and Westercon committees to answer a questionnaire. The responses have been posted at Smofcon’s website under Fannish Inquisition.
There will also be a Q&A session at the con on December 7 – publishing these questionnaires in advance helps keep that time from being taken up with basic information. If you want to submit a question, see the information at the end of this post.
The following FAQs have been received from Bids and seated conventions:
- Montreal for SMOFCon 38 in 2020
- Lisbon for SMOFCon 39 in 2021
- Los Angeles for SMOFcon 40 in 2022
- New York for SMOFCon 40 in 2022
- CoNZealand the 78th World Science Fiction Convention in 2020
- DisCon III the 79th World Science Fiction Convention in 2021
- Chicago for Worldcon 80 in 2022
- Chengdu for Worldcon 81 in 2023
- Memphis for Worldcon 81 in 2023
- Nice for Worldcon 81 in 2023
- Glasgow for Worldcon 82 in 2024
- Seattle for Worldcon 83 in 2025
Seven Worldcon committees and bidders (all except Nice in 2023) cosigned a statement (which many inserted at the beginning of their questionnaires) criticizing the Smofcon 37 committee for the short response deadline, the dramatic increase in number of questions asked from last year’s form, and use of Google Docs to communicate, which cannot be accessed in China. Smofcon 37’s chair Ron Oakes responded with a lengthy justification of what happened, while the FAQ coordinator apologized.
SMOFCon 37 Response
Submitting Questions to the Fannish Inquisition: Here are the committee’s instructions:
This event is our traditional time for bids for future SMOFCon, Worldcons and NASFiCs. Our usual highlight event, and will mostly be run as it has been in the recent past with written questions through our able moderators. Those wishing to submit questions in advance may do so by sending email to [email protected], up to 6:30pm MST December 7, 2019 to ensure that we receive it prior to the convention.
[Update 12/07/2019: After this post was drafted last night, several more questionnaires were added to the website. The new links have been added here.]