The jury for Spectrum 26: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art has nominated the top five artworks in eight categories for consideration for either a silver and gold award.
Judges Kei Acedera, Wesley Burt, Bobby Chiu, Edward Kinsella III, and Colin and Kristine Poole debated the merits of hundreds of pieces of art before finalizing this list on Saturday, February 9, 2019 at the Flesk Publications offices in Santa Cruz, California.
Established in 1993 by Cathy and Arnie Fenner, the first Spectrum annual appeared in 1994 from Underwood Books; for over a quarter of a century it has attracted participants from around the world and has set the standards for excellence in fantasy and science fiction art. John Fleskes became the Director and Publisher of Spectrum in 2014 with volume 21.
The recipients will be announced at the Spectrum 26 Awards Ceremony that will be held at the historic Folly Theater in Kansas City, MO on Saturday, March 30, 2019 . The 2019 Spectrum Grand Master Award honoree will also be announced during the ceremony.
Here’s a link to the list of the Spectrum 26 Award nominees where you can see pictures of the art.
- Justin Gerard – Lair of the Firebreather
- Donato Giancola – Reach
- Valentin Kopetzki – After the Flood
- Victo Ngai – Earth Species Project
- Greg Ruth – Annihilation variant
- Jaime Jones – Winter Road
- Vanessa Lemen – I am the Light
- Yuko Shimizu – Japanese Tales 1: The Invisible Man
- Chase Stone – Dragon Lords: Bad Faith
- Francis Vallejo – Charlie Florida
- Alex Alice – Castle in the Stars: Book 4, page 1
- Thomas Campi – Joe Shuster: The Artist Behind Superman cover
- Paul Davidson – Blue Vortex 1
- Kang Minjung – Kang Hearts Out 1
- Jeffrey Alan Love – The Thousand Demon Tree
CONCEPT ART CATEGORY
- Te Hu – Golden Temple Through Time we Converge: End
- Carlyn Lim – Dwarf
- Danny Moll – The Banner Saga 3: Juno in the Black Sun
- Abe Taraky – Submerged Statue of Tyr
- Zhengyi Wang – Big Hunt
- Matthew Corcoran – Vivicus
- Paul Komoda – SwampThing
- Patrick Masson – Reflection
- Mark Newman – Gallevarbe
- Dug Stanat – Justice
- Chris Buzelli – Structure
- Qiuxin Mao – The Remains
- Victo Ngai – Human: Opener
- Tim O’Brien – Stormy
- Leonardo Santamaria – How to Collect Customer Feedback the Right Way
- Ed Binkley – Mantis
- Bastien Lecouffe Deharme – Etrata
- Jesper Ejsing – Slippery Bogle
- Tyler Jacobson – Opt
- John Jude Palencar – The Nights Watch
- Julien Delval – The Stranger
- Konstantin Marinov Kostadinov – A Walk in the Woods
- Ronan LE FUR – Sent by the Gods
- Eric Pfeiffer – Racing Season in Empire City
- Annie Stegg Gerard – The Serpent
This year the ceremony and Spectrum Fantastic Art Live will be held in collaboration with Planet Comicon Kansas City (March 29-31), the Midwest’s largest pop-culture convention.